Blackout

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Blackout

#21 Post by Blackstuff »

Police confiscation always comes up when people talk about this sort of thing but imho it simply won't happen (on a large scale anyway) due to the numbers involved and the fact they'll be too busy dealing with whatever crisis caused the problem in the first place! 715,000 certificate holders, even if EVERYONE has both which they don't, thats at least 357,500 people to deal with. There are approx 135,000 police officers to do the job.... tesnews
DVC
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#22 Post by HALODIN »

If there was a blackout for 5 days, there's no way I'd reach for a rifle irrespective of how bad things got. I would however make sure I had a long axe handle at the ready, should someone accidentally stray into my house.

However, if there was a nuclear holocaust, society failed and murder and rape was rife, well that's different...
Chuck

#23 Post by Chuck »

Halodin,
If there was a blackout for 5 days, there's no way I'd reach for a rifle irrespective of how bad things got.

In the self defence and personal survival world is that not living in denial and trusting to LUCK! You're pre-supposing the other guy(s) aren't armed or otherwise able to overpower you.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Blu

#24 Post by Blu »

SevenSixTwo wrote:
Blu wrote:Could be it will take a bit more than a bolt action rifle or semi auto shotgun to deter scum and defend ones home and family. Just saying.
We'd have a better chance than most - and it's not all about marksmanship.
So what is it all about? How many rounds can one fit in a shotgun or a bolt action rifle?

Blu :twisted:
HALODIN

#25 Post by HALODIN »

Hardly anyone's armed in the UK. I know there are illegal firearms out there, but it's a tiny percentage and in the country it's non existant. The situation you seem to be describing is more fraught than just a 5 day power cut IMO, the UK would cope with that. If there's a breakdown of law and order and I can't rely on the police, an axe handle or my charm and I think our lives are in danger, then I'll do whatever it takes to protect my family, as anyone would.
Chuck wrote:In the self defence and personal survival world is that not living in denial and trusting to LUCK! You're pre-supposing the other guy(s) aren't armed or otherwise able to overpower you.
Blu

#26 Post by Blu »

Halodin,
Hardly anyone's armed in the UK. I know there are illegal firearms out there, but it's a tiny percentage and in the country it's non existant.
I can't see how you know that for sure. By what sources do you come to that conclusion?

HALODIN

#27 Post by HALODIN »

It's just intuition.
Blu wrote:I can't see how you know that for sure. By what sources do you come to that conclusion?

Blu

#28 Post by Blu »

HALODIN wrote:It's just intuition.
Blu wrote:I can't see how you know that for sure. By what sources do you come to that conclusion?

Okay that's a fair one I respect your intuition , but I think you're wrong. Now if you had said that to me say 20 years ago I'd have agreed with you. These days the UK has a lot of immigrants coming from Eastern Europe and with them comes their Mafia style crime gangs and as I have already said, to those people guns are second nature.

Personally I think you may possibly underestimate the number of illegal guns out there, black market guns is a thriving trade in all corners of Europe these days. The gangs from Eastern Europe have all the contacts back home for bringing in and selling illegal guns in the UK. Hey that's just the intuition on my part.

Now there might be a story from our resident sleuth Gaz. How about looking into the black market trade in illegal guns in the UK. Crack that one mate and who knows, your next stop might be The Sun O:-)

HALODIN

#29 Post by HALODIN »

I live in a fairly sedate part of the UK, there are no real immigrant communities for 20 or so miles. If I lived in a city I'm sure my opinion would be different.
Blu

#30 Post by Blu »

[quote="HALODIN"]I live in a fairly sedate part of the UK, there are no real immigrant communities for 20 or so miles. If I lived in a city I'm sure my opinion would be different.[/quote

Oh I'm sure your opinion would change if you moved to a city. We live out in the sticks, I walk out onto the back deck at night and all I see for miles in every direction is stars. But despite the solitude of or place, well that doesn't mean I'm not prepared but it is also the last thing I want to happen.