Puffballs

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Puffballs

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Whoowhoop dropped this off Friday so we eat some of it Saturday evening, I do mean some as well as it was a good 10" across. We had it sliced and sautéed in butter with some garlic along with salad, new potatoes and quiche and the puffball made an excellent accompaniment. For those of you that have not tried it the texture and taste is about the same as field mushrooms however you get a lot more to eat. We split about a third between three of us so plenty more for another meal.
DSC_1324.JPG
So what has this got to do with emergency planning? You can find food in the countryside for most of this year however now is one of the best times with the hedgerows full of interesting and unusual things. If you are not sure of what you can eat then find someone who knows or get a book however do take care with Fungi.

BTW - With Puffballs a good rule of thumb is if they are white inside they *should* be edible.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

Re: Puffballs

#2 Post by Meaty »

Puffballs are lovely but its best to stay away from the smaller brownish ones as they will do you no good at all. I have a few books on collecting fungi but there are only a couple that I feel confident enough to eat. I am lucky enough to know a very good place for Morel's and another for St.Georges mushrooms.
Last Spring we had a bumper crop and now have nearly 2kg of Morels dried in the cupboard and sold another 3kg to a friend of my parents who happens to be a Michelin star chef-they were in his kitchen within 2 hours of picking and he gave us £80/kg for them :good: He did ask where we picked them-I may be from Norfolk but I aint that thick.....
Shaggy Ink Caps are another really tasty one but only when they are young and before they go 'drippy', there is a look-alike that is also tasty but if you drink any alcohol with them or in the next 24 hrs they they are going to mess you up badly.
Strange things mushrooms.
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
Dougan

#3 Post by Dougan »

Wow, that's a mighty mushroom tongueout

I believe you can use the flesh for plasters and dressings as well.
whoowhoop

#4 Post by whoowhoop »

My own personal preference is to cut into cubes and add to a good red meat casserole. Thickens it up a treat and gives that nice earthy, mushroom flavour which complements the dish.
The one to avoid is the Yellow Stainer. Looks like a Horse Mushroom, is very common and slightly poisonous.
Eat a couple, no probs. Have a beer later and. Whooosh!! Up she comes!
I've known a few people make this mistake.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

*writes note to Alcoholics Anonymous*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#6 Post by 450 Martini »

Aye Puffballs are very tasty indeed, sliced and fried in beaten egg, tastes almost like steak. I used to pick them up when checking pheasant feeders when i was at college.
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#7 Post by waterford103 »

Am I right in thinking that all fungi which grow on trees are edible ?
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
rockapes2
Home club or Range: Felixstowe.

#8 Post by rockapes2 »

there are 3 types of fungi; Edible, Edible but not worth it, Poisonous! get to know and learn the poisonous ones, avoid them and enjoy the rest!
Gundoc
Home club or Range: Triple C Tactical

#9 Post by Gundoc »

Food for free, a pocket sized little book by Collins. Couple of quid, and quite a good little book.
Yes, I work for Lantac.
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

Before people go foraging in the wild...please go with someone who can identify what you find.