Long term ammunition storage in a can

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Dangermouse

Long term ammunition storage in a can

#1 Post by Dangermouse »

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011 ... rvivalist/

Doubt that there will be a market in the UK for this stuff, but there is no reason why there should not be.

Take the time to look for the tracer shotgun rounds and have a look at the video,

Winter clay league anyone?

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Scotsgun

Re: Long term ammunition storage in a can

#2 Post by Scotsgun »

Lapua supply 22lr in tins - tinns of 500 rounds. I have one in my emergency stash.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have have a few of the old fashioned type of 12g tracer cartridges, they come in a white and green box of 5 from memory and must be at least 15 years old.

I picked some 54R up a couple of years ago that came out of cans dated 1950's - you just open them up with a cold chisel like a giant tin of sardines and they were perfect inside. I also remember seeing some big game ammunition for sale as well which was dated 1920's and was still in the original lead and lead soldered boxes, probably as good as the day they were sealed up. I think it was Peter Lawman who had them for sale.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#4 Post by Chuck »

Tracer shotgun, great idea and should be available everywhere, but no doubt it's pricey. What a great way to see where your shot is going...or not.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Chuck wrote:Tracer shotgun, great idea and should be available everywhere, but no doubt it's pricey. What a great way to see where your shot is going...or not.
My acquisition was a bit embarrassing as I had two boxes of them in my pocket when I got home after shooting with a mate, I spent the next three years either taking them with me and missing him or him turning up and them being at home, in the end I forgot about them and they sit in an old ammunition locker with some SG's and other interesting things.

I never hit a thing with them on the day we used them either :oops:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

ooops. Makes it difficult to claim a "near miss" :lol:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Chuck wrote:ooops. Makes it difficult to claim a "near miss" :lol:
I reckon you should be able to hit most clays with most cartridges and shotguns on a reasonable day but these tracers were a nightmare, I could hit the first eight birds with anything but load the tracers and I would miss the last pair :oops:

What we need is another Pump Action loaded with a mix of tracer and slug so we are prepared.
/d

Shed Journal
Chuck

#8 Post by Chuck »

...especially for Zombies :lol:
Bullseye

#9 Post by Bullseye »

There is one way of storage of ammo I know of. But its a cache that lives underground.

PVC tube with one end cap PVC cemented on. Use reloading primer sealer to seal the primer and case mouth on all rounds. once dried re-box the ammo, vacuum pack in an large Tightvac container, then add silica gel with the ammo. if you can't get a tightvac container, you can use a small plastic box with a good seal but then in-case it in paraffin wax for a total seal.

Use a welding bottle of CO2 or argon to displace the O2 inside the PVC tube the add more silica gel and put the final end cap on with PVC cement, once the ammo is inside! :)

The ammo contents will still be fresh once opened in 10 years when it was first packed!

There is surplus Russian ammo from 1968 in a "spam can" which fires well.

Most very old ammo from 70/80s surplus eastern or WW2 was chlorate primed. on firing the chlorate decomposed into chloride which absorbs water from the air into your gun barrel ect! forming rust quickly. its a must clean. but a bang is a bang! afew people in the USA fire corrosive ammo today bulk cheap surplus.

"Lead free" primers have a shorter life span. about 20 year max life from what I've read.

Anyone can try this project, but please don't bury it, keep it locked up in the gun cab or your FEO will rise eyebrow if you told him your ammo is safe in the wood underground :)

Bullseye
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alternatively 1 litre screw top fizzy drink bottles, silica gel in the bottom, fill with .22LR, flush with CO2, replace the lid and duct tape to seal then wrap in a black bin liner, it is a handy pocket/rucksack sized container and holds around 500 rounds. That is a lot of zombies...
/d

Shed Journal