What is your favourite outdoor knife?

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had to buy myself a new waterproof jacket end of last week and whilst I was there I was looking at the Hultafors knives which are usually available for under a tenner, the chap in the shop promptly told me to take one so I chose the Hultafors HVK Enhanced Grip Handle version with some scepticism and Googled it when I got home. Seems like they are actually quite good and I put a decent edge on it and made a slight modification to the belt sheaf it comes with I have been using it for all sorts of jobs for the last few days.

My goal has been to own a handmade model however that has not happened yet so this make a good interim model and this particular knife is already becoming a firm favourite.

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: What is your favourite outdoor knife?

#2 Post by Les »

I use a Mora/Morakniv knife that I've had for a few years now. It's not fancy, but it does the job and wouldn't break my heart if I ever lost it. Well, not much, anyway! ;)
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#3 Post by daman »

I have several Leatherman tools, the MUT (in my range bag), Charge (on my belt when doing stuff round the house), Micra (on the keyring), Style PS (for travelling). Much prefer to have a toolkit instead of just a blade at hand :-)

That said, the Victorinox Hunter XT is a great stalker knife, and I would be lost without my Higonokami as a desk blade.

Opinel's are good and cheap too, but mine have all been "borrowed".
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#4 Post by breacher »

Les wrote:I use a Mora/Morakniv knife that I've had for a few years now. It's not fancy, but it does the job and wouldn't break my heart if I ever lost it. Well, not much, anyway! ;)
Got a few of those as a job lot - great little knives.

I believe they are part of aircrew survival kit for one of the Scandanavian air firces ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#5 Post by saddler »

breacher wrote:I believe they are part of aircrew survival kit for one of the Scandanavian air forces ?
Fallkniven F1 for the Swedish Air Force
North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

#6 Post by North Star »

SOG Government. It's chunky and has an excellent Seiki blade.
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#7 Post by DaveB »

Any of the Chris Reeve hollow-handled survival knives.

Now I know what you are thinking - "Those hollow-handled knives are awful - the joint between the handle and the blade is a real weak point" And that would be true, except for the fact that Chris made his knives - hollow handle included - from a single block of A2 tool steel. No weak point there. Alas he doesn't make them anymore. http://www.blackscoutsurvival.com/2013/ ... eview.html

So, next best thing is his Reeve/Harsey Green Beret knife http://www.chrisreeve.com/green-beret.html, a special serial numbered version of which is actually presented to every graduate of the qualification course.

Of course there's always my Randall No 1.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Les wrote:I use a Mora/Morakniv knife that I've had for a few years now. It's not fancy, but it does the job and wouldn't break my heart if I ever lost it. Well, not much, anyway! ;)
Les, You have a good point regarding the Hultafors or Mora type knives, they get the job done, do not break the bank and are basic enough to take out and use daily, yet not get overly upset of you were clumsy enough to misplace. If I was dime enough to loose mine I would simply replace it with an OK4 even if they are another fiver each.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
tackb

#9 Post by tackb »

I don't care who you are or what you say I am not limiting myself to one knife !
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

tackb wrote:I don't care who you are or what you say I am not limiting myself to one knife !
Good point well made :good:
/d

Shed Journal