New shooters?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

New shooters?

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I know prospective new shooters check this forum out as one of them recently PM'd me. Being new to the sport or wanting to join a shooting club can be quite daunting and knowing where to start or what to shoot is never easy. Anyway someone suggested a register of regions, clubs and forum members which seems like a good idea so I thought lets get the list together.

If you are happy to be an early point of contact for your club, if only to explain a bit about what it does or how to contact the relevant person can you add the County/Region you are in, the club you shoot for and of course your forum name so people know who to contact, it would be great if we could form multiple contacts for each club and I am sure many FB'ers are in shooting clubs so just because someone has already put your club name down does not mean you cannot add yourself to it. This could also be a good way to find out who else in your club is a FB'er ;)

How do people feel about adding such information to the forum?

We already have the club thread in the news section but it would be an expanded version of that I guess.

This could be tied in with a new section specifically for new shooters.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

Re: New shooters?

#2 Post by Robin128 »

I am a member of the following clubs...

Tondu Target Shooting Club...small bore, underlever and Black Powder...committee member. 25, 50, 100M

http://www.tondushooting.org.uk/index.htm

Brecon Rifle Club...small and full bore, Sennibridge MOD range...up to 800m+...several ranges

Cardiff Small Arms, Nr Toll Booths 2nd Severn Crossing..small and full bore ...100m, 200m.
Actionclear

#3 Post by Actionclear »

I am a member/secretary of Wurgabup Rifle Club, Western Australia.

We shoot SSAA - Pistol, Rimfire, Clay

We shoot Full Bore/ Target Rifle and F Standard every Saturday. Our firing points are 300 to 1000 yards.

For more information on our club, please see the link below.

If you are anywhere in Australia, and looking for a club. Contact me, and I can point you in the right direction.
Sandgroper

#4 Post by Sandgroper »

As it was my suggestion, I'd better put my hand up as well. :lol:

Member of Strathpeffer Rifle and Pistol Club.

Full bore, small bore, muzzle loading (rifle and pistol), target shotgun and if there's anything I forgotten I'm sure Blackisler can remind me.

The club shoots at Cawdor range (up to 600m) once a month, with each shoot being a practice and/or competition day. We also have a reciprocal arrangement with Cawdor Rifle Club, which allows us to shoot on one of their weekends with them.

The club also has it own 25m range at Millnain (half way between Dingwall and Strathpeffer), which members are able to use in their own time. The club also shoots there every Sunday except when we're at Cawdor.

I also know of a couple of Small Bore clubs in Moray as well, but I'm not a member of either as yet.

I think that's about it, any questions, just ask. :D
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#5 Post by Mike357 »

Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club

We have our own 25m range near Forfar which hosts a structured shoot on the last Sunday of the month. Other occassional shoots are added as and when. Two or more members can shoot on the range at any time. There is also a 100yd foring point for zeroing purposes.

We have monthly shoots at MOD ranges at Barry Buddon and these are shared between two other local clubs to share the range fees.

DRPC also shoots in the NESSCC (North East Scotland Shooting Club Competition) every summer.

www.dundeerpc.co.uk
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Blackisler

#6 Post by Blackisler »

Sandgroper wrote:As it was my suggestion, I'd better put my hand up as well. :lol:

Member of Strathpeffer Rifle and Pistol Club.

Full bore, small bore, muzzle loading (rifle and pistol), target shotgun and if there's anything I forgotten I'm sure Blackisler can remind me.

The club shoots at Cawdor range (up to 600m) once a month, with each shoot being a practice and/or competition day. We also have a reciprocal arrangement with Cawdor Rifle Club, which allows us to shoot on one of their weekends with them.

The club also has it own 25m range at Millnain (half way between Dingwall and Strathpeffer), which members are able to use in their own time. The club also shoots there every Sunday except when we're at Cawdor.

I also know of a couple of Small Bore clubs in Moray as well, but I'm not a member of either as yet.

I think that's about it, any questions, just ask. :D
Well you missed air pistol and rifle ,Archery [when I remember to take bow]
and I also have my own clay trap at millnain which can be used when required. ;) ;) ;) :D :D
Sandgroper

#7 Post by Sandgroper »

Well you missed air pistol and rifle ,Archery [when I remember to take bow]
and I also have my own clay trap at millnain which can be used when required. ;) ;) ;) :D :D
I knew there was more but I couldn't remember. I didn't know about the Archery or the clay trap! :D Fun for the whole family! I'll have bring my son with me next time and he can get some more Archery practice.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Ovenpaa

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Grove Small Arms/Cambridgeshire and further East

http://www.grovesmallarms.com/

Everything from 25m .22LR through to 1200 yards Full Bore with High Muzzle Energy (HME) allowed subject to an SCC

Grove is a great shooting club catering for all interests and we have quite a few members here on the forum.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#9 Post by 20series »

Oundle Rifle and Pistol Club -Rimfire, Fullbore, Blackpowder, Practical shotgun
http://www.orpc.org.uk/

Soke Target Sports Club - Peterborough, .22 Small-bore Rifle
http://www.camsoke.co.uk/

Various Small-bore clubs in Lincolnshire,

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#10 Post by HeatherW762 »

LLoydsTSB RC (now open to non bank staff!) TR and a fledgling F Class section - Bisley based - http://www.ltsbrifleclub.org.uk/ although I've just noticed that the website doesn't look right so will let them know. Shoot approx once a month, mostly comps.

Old Sergeants Mess SC, Sporting Rifle, F Class, McQueen, Shotgun, .22, gallery rifle and blackpowder. We have a clubhouse on Bisley camp and I'm vice-chair of this one so happy to answer any questions. http://www.osmshootingclub.org.uk/about. Shoot most weekends.

NRA SC (open to full members of the NRA) Just about every discipline going - Bisley based - http://www.nra.org.uk. Shoot twice a month. I started this one in 2005 so happy to answer all questions.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)