FAC Variation for F/TR (without fullbore club ...yet)

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

RobB
Home club or Range: Cuckfield Rifle Club and OSM (Bisley)

FAC Variation for F/TR (without fullbore club ...yet)

#1 Post by RobB »

Hi All,

Been shooting smallbore target for several years. But only have .22 slots on my FAC. Now, however, want to get into F/TR long range target shooting as well.

Question is, can I apply for an addition / variation to my FAC to add .308 Win (for F/TR - assuming that is what I need?) without belonging to a club that shoots full bore? Will be sorting the latter out in the new year but wondering if I can ask for the variation now?
Mezzer
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: FAC Variation for F/TR (without fullbore club ...yet)

#2 Post by Mezzer »

RobB wrote:Hi All,

Been shooting smallbore target for several years. But only have .22 slots on my FAC. Now, however, want to get into F/TR long range target shooting as well.

Question is, can I apply for an addition / variation to my FAC to add .308 Win (for F/TR - assuming that is what I need?) without belonging to a club that shoots full bore? Will be sorting the latter out in the new year but wondering if I can ask for the variation now?

Rob;

I think you may struggle to prove good reason for holding a .308 on your ticket when you don't actually have a place to shoot it. May be better to hold until you get that squared away. Just my thoughts ......

Mezzer
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Durham FLD recently did a large scale back peddling exercise when they realised they'd authorised a load of people for full-bore rifles when they apparently didn't have access to a range that full-bore rifles could be used at :oops: I would've thought that mistake was frantically passed around all FLD's and now you'll have to be a full member of a club with access to appropriate ranges.
DVC
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Then Durham back pedalled again when they found out that in relation to 25 yrd indoor ranges with full bore clubs that was sufficient reason to have full bore rifles, they were just making the rules up and then going on a fishing exercise to find justification for their ignorant decision. After seven months of unnecessary hassle for some FAC holders they had to go back on their decision and allow the FAC holders to keep and use their full bore rifles.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
RobB
Home club or Range: Cuckfield Rifle Club and OSM (Bisley)

#5 Post by RobB »

Sounds like the least hassle solution is to delay until member of club. Currently between NRA, OSM and Eagle (all at Bisley). That is of course if any of them will have me ;)
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

dromia wrote:Then Durham back pedalled again when they found out that in relation to 25 yrd indoor ranges with full bore clubs that was sufficient reason to have full bore rifles, they were just making the rules up and then going on a fishing exercise to find justification for their ignorant decision. After seven months of unnecessary hassle for some FAC holders they had to go back on their decision and allow the FAC holders to keep and use their full bore rifles.
so does that mean you can apply for a full bore rifle slot, if you can't shoot fullbore at your home range ??
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#7 Post by Demonic69 »

That's what I did
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

is your club affiliated with the NRA though? mine is only affiliated with NSRA.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#9 Post by Demonic69 »

It is, though we're a long way from Bisley! We do have an agreement with another club where we can shoot at certain times of the year though.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

bradaz11 wrote:
dromia wrote:Then Durham back pedalled again when they found out that in relation to 25 yrd indoor ranges with full bore clubs that was sufficient reason to have full bore rifles, they were just making the rules up and then going on a fishing exercise to find justification for their ignorant decision. After seven months of unnecessary hassle for some FAC holders they had to go back on their decision and allow the FAC holders to keep and use their full bore rifles.
so does that mean you can apply for a full bore rifle slot, if you can't shoot fullbore at your home range ??
No we shoot full bore rifles whose ammunition is handloaded to our range limits, Durham said that this wasn't allowed and therefore wasn't good reason to posses.

This decision had no basis in fact or legislation and after a 7 month fishing expedition on their part they were forced to back down and allow our Durham members to keep their full bore rifles.

It was only Durham members that were affected, members in other authorities continued as normal.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/