First full bore shoot :)

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

RobB
Home club or Range: Cuckfield Rifle Club and OSM (Bisley)

First full bore shoot :)

#1 Post by RobB »

Spent Saturday at Bisley and shot my first ever .308. In fact first calibre over .22 since the dozen shots with a .303 in 1986!

Shooting off a bipod with no back rest at 300 yards on the Century Range. It was freezing, raining and even snowed.

First 18 shots with some 'cheap' military ammo. Reason for only 18 was two misfired. Hence last 12 with RWS 155. Much better :)
Last 10 went..... Inner, BBVVVVVVV

Was a bit apprehensive regarding the recoil given I'm used to a .22 which has about as much recoil as a moth flying into your shoulder. After the first shot though I knew what to expect and it was a lot less than I imagined.

Got to thank Dan at the Old Sergeants Mess for helping me and for being such a salesman in getting me to buy his wife's rifle off her :)

If the picture works....the position inside the V is approximate. I was running out of space, it was raining and the scope has a problem. Couldn't focus above about 250 yards we think because the turret inside has slipped. Score however is correct as we had markers in the butts.

Now hooked :)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: First full bore shoot :)

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well I would day that was a very reasonable result for a first time out with a .308 - recoil is not so bad with the 155 grain bullets however it does get tiring when you start shooting long strings of heavier 200+ grain bullets.

Any plans to move out to longer distances and start reloading?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
RobB

#3 Post by RobB »

Definitely - have booked myself on the F-TR course in Feb run by Mik and also pencilled myself in to the next reloading course being run by Dan Archer (Old Sergeants Mess) when it's next run.
Need to order a new scope this week as he'll want his back (left it on for me to check rifle).
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ouch, I can see this working out rather expensive...

lol
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
RobB

#5 Post by RobB »

Already is! Although am going for a 'cheaper' Sightron 10-50x60 rather than a March. Amazing how you can justified something by comparing to a much more expensive model :)
Rifle already paid for as of yesterday. Next will be reloading gear and lots of range fees :)
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#6 Post by waterford103 »

Lots of suitable s/h scopes around on the forums , stay away from the "air rifle " scopes and stick with known makes with a 308 .
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

I am fairly confident a s/h sightron is coming up for sale here pretty soon.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#8 Post by dodgyrog »

I was coaching a couple of newbies at Ponteland yesterday (including a 14 year old lad) and have to report that they (and I) had a great time.
They are well on their way to getting their safe shooters certificates. Also, getting 2" groups at 100 yards from an old Parker Hale sporter was very impressive for their first time out.
It's great to see new shooters entering the sport.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
RobB

#9 Post by RobB »

Only slight disappointment was not being able to measure the grouping of the last 7 shots as the impact marker was quite blurred as the scope would not focus properly (checked and confirmed by both RCOs stood behind me).
I'm hoping it wasn't completely beginners luck although I do shoot a fair amount of .22 prone competitions.
RobB

#10 Post by RobB »

Had my 2nd shoot yesterday at Bisley, again at 300yrds on Century Range. Club gun this time, a Howa 1500, as my rifle is currently scopeless until after the Shooting Show next week.

Scopes and me seem to have a disliking :( This time the reticule visibly moved when zooming it to magnify the target. So much so that it moved the bullet impact point off the wooden target. 3+ ft!! Once we worked that out and zoomed all the way out and left it all was ok.
Out of 30 rounds, about 20 were v-bulls. 3 of us were using the rifle and moving the zero each time we shot our 10 string so I can blame a few of the rest on re-sighting (that's my excuse anyway). Overall I was very happy with the morning :)
I am so looking forward to shooting in the dry though. Can't complain too much, it wasn't windy.