Ammunition listed on licence.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

ozone
Home club or Range: Thorpe Cloud

#1 Post by ozone »

I am quickly running out of space on my licence for
ammunition to be included. Do I have to return it for
a replacement and is there a cost?

Regards

ozone

Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

Re: Ammunition listed on licence.

#2 Post by Andy632 »

ozone wrote:.

I am quickly running out of space on my licence for
ammunition to be included. Do I have to return it for
a replacement and is there a cost?

Regards

ozone

Yes & no.
Yes you have to return it, no- no charge.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
DL.

#3 Post by DL. »

Before I got particular about benchloading I was able to fill the ammunition table between variations.

Provided you've not been buying tiny amounts in numerous transactions - like 50 rounds of rimfire ammo at a time then it may be an idea to ask the licensing department to increase your allowance, if you've been getting through ammo regularly this should be good reason, and it's much easier buying ammo in 100's/1000's as there's less running around to various rfd's involved.
ozone

#4 Post by ozone »

DL. wrote:Before I got particular about benchloading I was able to fill the ammunition table between variations.

Provided you've not been buying tiny amounts in numerous transactions - like 50 rounds of rimfire ammo at a time then it may be an idea to ask the licensing department to increase your allowance, if you've been getting through ammo regularly this should be good reason, and it's much easier buying ammo in 100's/1000's as there's less running around to various rfd's involved.

Thank you guys for the advice.

As for the increase, that is my intention. When I first got the licence
I was allowed to buy 100 at a time and the FEO did say that I would
be able to increase that with time.

That was nearly 3 years ago so the amounts are not colossal but easily
500 / 600 a year which is 5 or six visits, plus I have .223, .308, .303 and .22
and although I try to manage my ammunition as best I can, it is still a
juggle trying to make sure I have enough when I need it.

So a variation seems like the best way to go but and there always seems to be a but, eh? :o

So the but is the fact that I do not yet have a .303, I've been waiting for the right one,
but if I put in for a variation, then I will have to explane why I still need the .303
and although the FEO knows why I want one and was happy for me to wait, I
would still have to explain that I am waiting for "just the right one".

Does that make sense?

I know what I mean :good:

:D

Regards

ozone

DL.

#5 Post by DL. »

My local licensing authority question the validity of a slot to acquire after two years. As you have a good reason to have not filled that slot due to the lack of availability of a suitable firearm, I'm sure they would understand.

Off the top of my head the HO guidance says that a benchloader may be required to be licensed for a thousand bullets/rounds and someone not benchloading could have a couple of hundred, so think of a number between 100 & 1000.
There's no charge for an ammunition increase, and if they have a lower number in mind they will tell you what they are happy with, and it's then up to you if you want to accept that or become one of their persistent customers!
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#6 Post by Andy632 »

ozone wrote:
DL. wrote:Before I got particular about benchloading I was able to fill the ammunition table between variations.

Thank you guys for the advice.

As for the increase, that is my intention. When I first got the licence
I was allowed to buy 100 at a time and the FEO did say that I would
be able to increase that with time.

That was nearly 3 years ago so the amounts are not colossal but easily
500 / 600 a year which is 5 or six visits, plus I have .223, .308, .303 and .22
and although I try to manage my ammunition as best I can, it is still a
juggle trying to make sure I have enough when I need it.

So a variation seems like the best way to go but and there always seems to be a but, eh? :o

So the but is the fact that I do not yet have a .303, I've been waiting for the right one,
but if I put in for a variation, then I will have to explane why I still need the .303
and although the FEO knows why I want one and was happy for me to wait, I
would still have to explain that I am waiting for "just the right one".

Does that make sense?

I know what I mean :good:

:D

Regards

ozone

Shouldn't need a variation, just a new certificate with clear ammo section; they may change your ammo holding but there's no reason for them to change anything else; if you've got already authorisation to acquire a .303 then it should remain valid. A 'Variation' (£26) is only required for a new calibre etc.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
ozone

#7 Post by ozone »

OK thanks, I thought that if I want to increase the number from
what I have I would have to put in a variation, but you are saying
if I ask for the increase I might get them with the newly issued licence?

Cheers

ozone.

DL.

#8 Post by DL. »

If there's no change to the certificate it's just a fresh FAC, and comes back as it was for no cost.

If you require an ammunition allowance increase it's still free, I've found a covering letter works rather than the completed form, but different areas have different ideas on what they're willing to accept.
ozone

#9 Post by ozone »

DL. wrote:If there's no change to the certificate it's just a fresh FAC, and comes back as it was for no cost.

If you require an ammunition allowance increase it's still free, I've found a covering letter works rather than the completed form, but different areas have different ideas on what they're willing to accept.

thankssign

Thank you

ozone