17 Year Old FAC - Calibre Issues?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Mezzer
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: 17 Year Old FAC - Calibre Issues?

#11 Post by Mezzer »

beesleya09 wrote:Thank-you ovenpaa and again JS569, waiting would probably be the best way forward for me upon reading both of yours advice, hopefully it will give me the time to experience and properly decide on what I like best as I do have interests in all WW2 rifles, and upon looking at Mosins have been astounded by how cheap they are! Which book in-particular is it that you have, I have searched on google and have found he has a whole range of publications on the Lee-Enfield, is there any specific book that would be best for me to acquire? That would be great if you could inform me of some reputable sellers - I only really know of a few dealers around my area all of which don't sell much in the way of WW2 rifles.

Also, without sounding to be rude, if there's anybody within the Lancashire area who owns any form of WW2 rifle and would be willing to let me experience firing it and just general shooting/learning of the weapon then I'd be glad to travel to a range whenever suits - I aim to try and experience as many different weapons as I can before attaining my FAC in order to both generally broaden my horizons and decide what I like best.

Beesley;

How far are you prepared to travel?

Mezzer
beesleya09

#12 Post by beesleya09 »

Mezzer, unfortunately I can't yet drive so travel is somewhat limited for me, however I assume by your information to the left you mean Altcar? If so, I'm sure I could arrange to get up there.
The Event

#13 Post by The Event »

Jumping in again...
Lancashire police are currently taking around 3 months to process a new FAC application. Add this to the 6 months probation period & you're looking at 9 months from your first visit to the range to having an FAC land on your doormat.
As has been said you will then have to wait until you're 18 before you can buy anything yourself.

Another club member won't be able to buy something and then gift it to you unless it is a genuine gift. If you pay them for it then it's not a gift.
For juniors we often recommend that a parent join the club as well as they will be able to buy & gift a rifle to you legitimately and also purchase ammunition for you until you are 18. On the other hand if you're able to wait those few extra months to be 18 you might just prefer to wait. (We're back to talking about impatience aren't we? I trust you have now received a reply from the club secretary?)
If you don't have access to a car as well, travelling on a bus with a rifle might attract attention.

You'll find a few WW2 rifles in use at our club - SMLE, No.4, No.4T, Delisle carbine, even long barrelled pistol versions of the 1911 if you want to include them.
If you want to buy a .22 copy of a WW2 rifle there are M1 carbines, STG44s, MP40s, the PPSh inspired Pietta to choose from.

While the dealers around Fylde or Preston don't tend to sell much WW2 stuff you can buy off Guntrader or Gunstar & have it sent up to a local shop to collect.

Look on the brightside though, you have a year to save up to be able to buy what you want when you hit 18.
beesleya09

#14 Post by beesleya09 »

Thanks for the input again The Event - I really do have an impatience issue don't I :/ I'm thinking that leaving attaining a gun until im 18, however applying for the FAC earlier so that I have the variation and certificate ready for when I do reach age. The secretary has indeed e-mailed me back and both me and a good friend will be attending on this coming Wednesday to have a look and chat, I presume I'll see you there? Also - it's good to hear that the club has a number of weapons from the specific period I'm into - this will give me a chance to determine whether this is what I really want! With the amount of money a rifle will cost though, you're right that given a year I'll be able to save up for a nice example of my choice, I'll just have to be patient! :D
The Event

#15 Post by The Event »

If you mail & confirm your attendance a bit nearer the time I'll try to pack a couple of guns that you might like into my case.
Mezzer

#16 Post by Mezzer »

beesleya09 wrote:Mezzer, unfortunately I can't yet drive so travel is somewhat limited for me, however I assume by your information to the left you mean Altcar? If so, I'm sure I could arrange to get up there.

Beesley;

Altcar won't be an option for you until you join a club and through them, arrange an entry pass for the gate. This will undoubtably be your best bet and once you are 'on the ground', you'll find as previously stated that the shooting folks are a friendly bunch and you will be spoilt for choice with offers to shoot the various firearms available. Going through the process of joining the club etc all takes time but don't get disheartened because it really is worth it.
I shoot with the Morecambe club and you would be very welcome on our firing point once your site access is sorted out. As a taster, I use an Enfield No4, Mosin M38 and a Swiss K31, all of which I'm happy for you to use under my direct supervision.

Mezzer
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#17 Post by meles meles »

K31, Mezzer? Now that's just spoiling the oomanlet ! By all means let him see it, even stroke it, but let him use it ? Make him wait, teach him some patience...

:)
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Mezzer

#18 Post by Mezzer »

meles meles wrote:K31, Mezzer? Now that's just spoiling the oomanlet ! By all means let him see it, even stroke it, but let him use it ? Make him wait, teach him some patience...

:)

OMG Badger;

Are there no limits to the depths of your depravity? lol

Mezzer
beesleya09

#19 Post by beesleya09 »

The Event; I'm most definitely attending this Wednesday with a friend, I'll e-mail the secretary tonight just to confirm this. Thank-you for offering to bring them for me, if you should require any money for ammunition etc in return then I'd be happy to provide this.

Mezzer; Ah yes okay, that makes sense, I'm hoping to join the club that The Event is a part of after my initial 'look-around' this Wednesday, then the 9 month quest for an FAC begins! :D I'm not entirely sure why I said Altcar to be honest, for some reason I thought Altcar was in Morecambe, not Ormskirk... oops!
Thank-you very much for the offer of visiting your clubs range and handling your weapons, I hope to take up that offer sometime as your selection of guns just screams appeal to me, they're basically my aspirations for when I attain my own FAC.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#20 Post by Demonic69 »

Remember to apply for your FAC around the 4 month mark after joining your club, if you're 18 by then anyways :-)