Variation on a visit?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Variation on a visit?

#1 Post by daman »

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice on what's possible here...

I'm waiting to get a date for my FLO visit for my first FAC. When I filled out the application I was (I think) quite restrained - I didn't want to ask for too much and get knocked back. I asked for 2 .22lr's, a .223 and a .308, which I thought would cover most competitions.

So I didn't ask for a slot for a .303. Since sending in the application however I've been invited to a historical match (BDS) and I see the NRA are doing a historical CSR as well.

So, my question, is it reasonable to ask the FLO (FEO?) if I could add a .303 to the application when they come round? Would that count as a variation and incur a fee? Or just been see as cheeky and jeopardise the application?

Any tips appreciated.

-daman
Who? Me? Really?
ozone
Home club or Range: Thorpe Cloud

Re: Variation on a visit?

#2 Post by ozone »

When I applied for mine I asked for the four you want, .22lr, .223, .303 and .308
and after a short conversation they were all granted with no hesitation.

I think if I had asked at the time for something different I would have been
allowed. I obviously will never know but it's just what I feel.

So prepare your reasoning and when he arrives explain the change and I'm
sure it would be allowed. If it is classed as a variation, then so be it but
if you ask the question and explain your reasoning why would you not be allowed?

You would only put in for a variation as the thing falls on your doormat any way ;)

ozone

Last edited by ozone on Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#3 Post by Demonic69 »

I did the same and the FLO was happy to sort it out, it's not a variation as you're not in their system fully yet
daman
Site Supporter 2021

#4 Post by daman »

Thanks ozone, Demonic

It sounds promising. Guess I'll see how the conversation is going when they come round and assuming all is going well, no harm in asking!
Who? Me? Really?
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#5 Post by HALODIN »

You'll be fine, I did something similar. When your FEO (not FLO) comes to see you, he fills out the application form again, so you can discuss your needs as it's filled out. You might want to ask for 4 moderators as well, they don't seem too bothered about them. They generally improve accuracy, so it's easy to justify.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

If he's bringing your license with him then call them and ask for it to be added, either way if you've got good reason you should be good.

Mine is in for renewal and I've called to add two things to it whilst it's been in.
ozone
Home club or Range: Thorpe Cloud

#7 Post by ozone »

HALODIN wrote:You'll be fine, I did something similar. When your FEO (not FLO) comes to see you, he fills out the application form again, so you can discuss your needs as it's filled out. You might want to ask for 4 moderators as well, they don't seem too bothered about them. They generally improve accuracy, so it's easy to justify.

My FEO advised me to put moderators on, with all the Health & Safety stuff
he said it would be a good idea for target shooting as it keeps the noise down
on the firing point.

ozone

HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#8 Post by HALODIN »

Yeh they seem pretty relaxed about them.
daman
Site Supporter 2021

#9 Post by daman »

Spoke to the FEO today and the visit is set for next week. He certainly didn't close off the idea of varying the application when he comes around, although he didn't promise anything either. He said on a first grant he'd usually only do three or four rifles, but is willing to discuss the possibility of more, or changing a slot.

Just need to get the Hobnobs in now!
Who? Me? Really?
zanes

#10 Post by zanes »

daman wrote:Spoke to the FEO today and the visit is set for next week. He certainly didn't close off the idea of varying the application when he comes around, although he didn't promise anything either. He said on a first grant he'd usually only do three or four rifles, but is willing to discuss the possibility of more, or changing a slot.

Just need to get the Hobnobs in now!
If you have "good reason" what grounds will they put in writing for refusing you those firearms?
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.