Getting back in the swing

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

mbawden

Getting back in the swing

#1 Post by mbawden »

Hi all,

I am after some information and guidance as I want to find a club near crawley that conduct full bore shooting. I used to be in cadets and shoot .22 and L98 rifles. I then moved up to the bigger brother when I joined the navy firing SA80 and getting my first taste of pistol as well.

Also what are the things to look out for joining a new club.

I haven't shot for several years but I want a good club that can show me the ropes again and possible comps.

Thanks

Marc
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Getting back in the swing

#2 Post by Christel »

Hi Marc, welcome to F-B :wave:
RobB
Home club or Range: Cuckfield Rifle Club and OSM (Bisley)

#3 Post by RobB »

Hi Marc,

I'm 18 miles south of you near Lewes but ended up joining a club at Bisley. For you it would be about 40mins.
mbawden

#4 Post by mbawden »

Hi Rob,

Who do I contact at Bisley about coming and seeing the club and getting more information. Also what courses would I need to complete to start.
RobB
Home club or Range: Cuckfield Rifle Club and OSM (Bisley)

#5 Post by RobB »

I can only comment on the route I took having only taken up full bore in Jan this year. I went with 'Old Sergeants Mess' . Multi disciplined and have a club house on the right as you enter Bisley. Osmshootingclub@gmail.com

You will probably have to do the probation course but can shoot all the club events during that time (except a form of FAC shotgun I think).

I'm sure others will come with other suggestions as well....
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#6 Post by mag41uk »

You will need to do a probationers course.
This can be within the NRA (expensive but inclusive and full on ) or done in your local HO approved club.
Contact the NRA for proby details or details of a local to you club.
The NSRA also have club details.
Some one will come along with a club finder link or use the search function here as its been covered before.
Tony
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#7 Post by 20series »

Hello and welcome

Lots of it depends on what type of shooting you want to do

For small-bore/air/crossbow the NSRA Club Finder here
http://nsra.co.uk/index.php/home/club-finder/41-england

For full-fore, blackpowder etc the NRA clubs
http://nra.org.uk/common/asp/links/link ... =NRA&cat=4

Hopefully that'll help, there are lots of people on here from your neck of the woods, so hopefully they'll be able to offer some more specific advice

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#8 Post by Steve E »

What disciplines do you want to shoot?
If it is the traditional prone Target Rifle, join one of the large established Bisley Clubs and do their probationary course. Cheaper than the NRA and more focused. For other disciplines at Bisley, contact the NRA Training/Membership dept and ask to be put in touch with clubs that regularly shoot various other disciplines.
My club is just about to start its probationers course, but it is pure target rifle. Cost under £100 for the first weekend plus annual membership fee of £125. Shooting days are about £25 including ammunition and rifle/jacket etc.

ps

as you are ex-navy you are eligible to join the RNTRC (Royal Navy Target Rifle Club)
Last edited by Steve E on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karen

#9 Post by karen »

I used to know a Marc Bawden when I lived in Islington about 28 years ago - he used to have an Italian girlfriend and came from Weymouth I think. Just wondered if you are the same one?
mbawden

#10 Post by mbawden »

Hi Steve,

I would prefer to just do target rifle to start. Silly question but what kind of clothing do people usually wear on a weekend shoot?

What calibre round is most target rifle, I have used 5.56 and 7.62 but no others.

I wasn't aware of the RNTRC so I might have a look at that.