A question for Those still serving

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Gundoc
Home club or Range: Triple C Tactical

Re: A question for Those still serving

#11 Post by Gundoc »

^ I would have reported the adj to the civil and service police for unauthorised use of a FAC controlled item.....
Wonder how long he would have retained his position.
Yes, I work for Lantac.
DL.

#12 Post by DL. »

I suppose there are a few factors to consider on this one.

Your rifle was in an armoury for safe keeping. Someone used your property without your consent, and prevented you from the using your own rifle at that time.

Also the use of ammunition, was it your own .22LR that was used? Or was it service ammunition, if so was this authorised through the chain of command?

Was the use of .22Lr included in the RASP (I'm not RMQ so correct me if they're not calibre specific)

It would be career suicide, but I suppose you could lodge a complaint.
George G
Home club or Range: Shield

#13 Post by George G »

Beware of problems with private ammo on warships.

On joining HMS Tantrum (name changed) I gave my 50 rounds of 9 mm pistol ammo to the Gunnery Officer who put them in the magazine with the rest of the ship’s small arms ammo. She then went into dry-dock for an annual maintenance , but beforehand de-ammunitioned and landed, along with all the bombs, shells, missiles, etc, 1 million and fifty 9mm pistol rounds. A little while later she floated out and re-ammunitioned, taking onboard all her allowance of whiz-bangs including 1 million 9 mm bullets. (Maybe it was only half a million, possibly a quarter, but it was a lot.)

When I came to leave I retrieved my gun from the armoury and asked for my 50 rounds, but Guns said that he could not possibly give me any of the ship’s 9 mm as it was all pusser’s ammo. My 50 rounds were presumably somewhere in the depths of the armament depot and utterly irretrievable.

Almost 50 years on I still burn with the injustice of this, but over the years I have made a point to shoot as much pusser's 9mm as I possibly could, not only in my own 9mm pistol but in every service pistol I could lay my hands on, plus Sterling SMGs, and even Lanchester Carbines.

The RN has paid dearly for seeing me off for those 50 rounds all those years ago.
SevenSixTwo

#14 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Nice dit. clapclap :good:
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
George G

#15 Post by George G »

Thank-you SevenSixTwo for your words of appreciation. – and the use of the word “dit” tells so much!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

George G - It certainly made me smile as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#17 Post by meles meles »

Oooh Lanchesters ! Us saw a few of them when we was a nod but never got our paws on one...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
George G

#18 Post by George G »

You needed to be careful with the fingers of your left hand - it could be easy to inadvertently slip them into the ejection port and get them caught by the bolt. It was a serious sub-machine gun in that it was heavy enough and strong enough to beat down a door, and if you were to have run out of ammo it would have made a useful club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanchester_submachine_gun
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#19 Post by meles meles »

We just remember the brass, polished until it gleamed like gold...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"