subsonic .308 ammo out the box

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: subsonic .308 ammo out the box

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

You can also speak to Kynamco who make such things plus Lapua factory subs are readily available, I usually have a few boxes in the safe for a rainy day.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
extendor
Home club or Range: torbay full bore

#12 Post by extendor »

Thank you guys, I was going to PM a couple of you for more info but that facility is not available to me at this time. Can anyone point me to their gunshop where they recently bought their stock from. I can then follow up. The Kynoch website is really interesting. I expect there is some great history there.
zanes

#13 Post by zanes »

You'd probably be best going direct to HPS; they will deal with the public and you can pick stuff up from them (or they'd probably courier it to your RFD at your cost).
Firearms related legal question? Look here before posting about it.
Maggot

#14 Post by Maggot »

Just a thought

All of the .308 subs I have dismantled had heavy bullets (the Lapua one had a totaly different ogive more akin to a HESH round).
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#15 Post by meles meles »

The optimum aerodynamics of a subsonic round are very different from those of a trans- or super sonic round, hence the different nose shapes. With a sub-sonic round, a 'shock'wave propagates ahead of the bullet (hence termed 'detached') whereas with a trans-sonic round the shockwave is attached, i.e. actually in contact with the tip of the bullet. With a supersonic bullet, the shockwave is attached and laid back along the bullet. Wave drag and boundary layer phenomena are different for all three cases, and thus the bullets require different shapes for best performance. Schlieren lens photographs show the different flow regimes quite well.

Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Maggot

#16 Post by Maggot »

meles meles wrote:The optimum aerodynamics of a subsonic round are very different from those of a trans- or super sonic round, hence the different nose shapes. With a sub-sonic round, a 'shock'wave propagates ahead of the bullet (hence termed 'detached') whereas with a trans-sonic round the shockwave is attached, i.e. actually in contact with the tip of the bullet. With a supersonic bullet, the shockwave is attached and laid back along the bullet. Wave drag and boundary layer phenomena are different for all three cases, and thus the bullets require different shapes for best performance. Schlieren lens photographs show the different flow regimes quite well.

Similar to a wing right?

Interesting.

What I was driving at was that in order to work there was more to it than just down loading and the bullets need to be stable in an entirely new mode. Built for purpose and to suit the rifle.

Nuff said, I am out of my depth as I was just looking at the various components, cutting out crack, flying slow and stable which just suggested a heavy.

take care.

M
meles meles

#17 Post by meles meles »

Yes, similar in many respects.

Note that the subsonic pistol bullet has a blunter nose than the rifle bullet. It doesn't matter too much as the detached shock wave ahead of it is elbowing the surrounding air out of the way. The supersonic rifle bullet has to be quite pointy and streamlined as it, rather than the attached shockwave, is doing much of the pushing and shoving against the air in front of it. Note it has a second shockwave originating at the rear cannelure, and a third emanating from the turbulent wake behind it. The rifle bullet needs to be boat tailed to try and reduce / control these effects, whereas it doesn't matter nearly so much in the slower pistol bullet. The wakes are different betwixt the two bullets too: note the shape and relative turbulence of each. The pistol bullet can afford to be blunter and have a greater cross section (and hence mass) as these are far less detrimental in the subsonic regime.
Badger
Badger Korporashun

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

Slow and heavy nearly made the American Buffalo extinct along with the premium put on them so as to make sure the American Indians lost their main supply source.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
meles meles

#19 Post by meles meles »

These days, that could be shortened to

"Slow and heavy nearly made the American extinct"
Badger
Badger Korporashun

DOGGER2UK
Site Supporter Since 2019

#20 Post by DOGGER2UK »

LAPSUB.jpg
This is the Lapua 200 gr subsonic bullet that Laurie and Ovenpa refer to in their posts. The 7.62 mm cases have been deliberately stained for identification.
You could give Sporting Services a call regarding stocks of subsonic ammo, but in the long run it will pay to reload.
It ain't me.