Scope Rings - Beginners Questions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Re: Scope Rings - Beginners Questions

#11 Post by phaedra1106 »

Just seen this.

My T3 is in an MDT TAC21 stock so it's a flat rail for the full length of the scope, no barrel contour so it has high rings with a measurement of 22mm between the top of the Picatinny rail and the bottom of the scope tube, with a 30mm tube and 56mm scope it leaves around 3mm of space.

I've just fitted a cheap (£20) set of Leapers UTG twist-lock rings and I have to admit they are very good, they get excellent reviews on the usual sites and suppliers web sites. JS Ramsbottom are selling them in the UK and there's a good measurement chart shown on the page http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/mo ... ounts.html

I've just bought another T3 (standard stock for now) with a 20moa Picatinny rail already fitted so will have a measure up when it gets here but I would think the low rings would fit a 50mm scope OK.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#12 Post by DW58 »

I've got TET Unimounts on both of mine - medium height with my Swarovski 6-24x50 scope, and High with Minox 6-30x56 optic.

Hell's teeth, may acquire a 34mm tube scope shortly - will mean another set of mounts.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#13 Post by WelshShooter »

I have a Tikka T3 varmint and I put a 20-moa rail on it with the same Vortex Viper 6-24x50 FFP glass on top. I mounted using low Viper rings by Vortex and just had enough room to rotate the magnification dial. I'll double check that they are low not medium, but there was plenty enough barrel clearance for the objective.
pb86

#14 Post by pb86 »

So have taken the plunge today and ordered the Vortex scope.

Have been looking at the Tier 1 rings (http://www.tier-one.eu/downloads/Picatinny-Rings.PDF). Is anyone using these rings? If so did you order the medium (25mm) or high (29mm) rings please?

This calculator (http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator) seems to indicate that only the high (29mm) will fit but I am sure I have read somewhere (can't find it though!) that someone is running the medium height rings.

Don't want to end up wasting money by buying the wrong ones!

Thanks in advance.