Sling attachments

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Sling attachments

#1 Post by daman »

I purchased a new sling with Quick Detach swivels, intending to clip them onto the traditional studs on my Zastava.

Don't really care about QD, it just came with the sling, once it's on it will likely stay on for years.

Problem is the pins on the QD swivels are too thick to fit the hole in the old studs.

So I guess my options are:

a) try to file down the pins to fit (fiddly at best)
b) use a dremel to widen the holes in the existing studs (also fiddly and might weaken it too much)
c) take out the existing studs and replace with new one (possibly damaging the stock)
d) sell the sling and buy a traditional strap that will fit the existing settings.

I suspect option d is the most sensible, but was wondering if anyone had tried any of the other approaches.

-daman
Who? Me? Really?
Nick Hulme
Home club or Range: RCRPSC

Re: Sling attachments

#2 Post by Nick Hulme »

I'd kind of go with b) but using a needle file rather than a dremel, this will give you better control of the direction in which you expand the hole with less chance of an "oops moment" which with a power tool could see you signing your name across the woodwork ;-)
Regards,
Nick
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Re: Sling attachments

#3 Post by daman »

Well that's a blast from the past!

As it goes, I ended up buying a new strap for the Zastava - still have the other one but on a rough shottie now.