Moving gunsafe

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Do you tell FEO regarding to changes to security measures?

Always.
38%
Only when possibly degrading security.
12%
Rarely.
No votes
Might
23%
Would never.
27%

Total votes: 26

Lead-Fouling
Home club or Range: Hawley CSG

Moving gunsafe

#1 Post by Lead-Fouling »

I know while you have no legal obligation to inform the police of changes to your security arrangements but how many people do so?
I'm asking because I'm upgrading my security arrangements in time for a FAC application and will be swapping out my safe.

Also I've installed a securicord type arrangement because I intend to sell a shotgun and don't fancy showing some stranger my gun safe!
Dougan

Re: Moving gunsafe

#2 Post by Dougan »

I've answered "Only when possibly degrading security" - But that refers more to locks and alarms; as our current arrangement has been approved, then I wouldn't feel it necessary to inform them of any further improvements.

However, if I were changing, adding or moving a gun safe then I would let them know out of courtesy, and if they wanted to take a look then fine.
Lead-Fouling

#3 Post by Lead-Fouling »

What happens if they visit and simply say no? Legally they have no right to object to your security arrangements AFAIK?
Dougan

#4 Post by Dougan »

I don't know about their 'legal right', but I think it pays to keep your FEO sweet - I would use common sense and try to look at it from their perspective...i.e. If you were simply putting a better/larger cabinet in the same place as the old cabinet, then it is unlikely that they would object, but if I was moving it to a different location and had any doubt then I would contact them before I started drilling holes in the wall.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

We discuss all aspects of our security with both the CPO and our FEO and try to take on-board all recommendations, however it is important to understand that there may come a point where it is not reasonably practicable to comply with a suggestion and you should discuss this, equally you may feel the level of security can be taken a stage further. Our policy is keep the CPO and FEO in the loop at all times if there are potential changes afoot.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#6 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

My force has a 'changing address or moving security' form which I completed when I added a second cabinet recently. As above, it's not particularly onerous and pays to keep the police sweet.
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#7 Post by saddler »

While keeping all concerned happy is one thing, there's no need to let them know ALL the ins & outs of what cabinet is now where.
It's down to the FAC holder to make sure secure storage is used...as both the Act's & Guidance state.

I've added two more cabinets lately.
The police will be made aware of them on next renewal, not before.
They seem very ok with such changes....
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#8 Post by Demonic69 »

I've just asked my force about moving house. They just want an e-mail with location of safe, capacity, security of the house etc.
Not too bad
Lead-Fouling

#9 Post by Lead-Fouling »

I'm sweaty and covered in dust and smell of chemical anchor but its in! And good old Met. FET. I'm curious as if they would like to pop round to check.

I've never had a visit but in your experience do they simply pop round?
Dougan

#10 Post by Dougan »

LF - I'm confused...you've said you're waiting to make an FAC application...do you mean a 'variation' or did you previously only have an shotgun cert?