Invited to shoot on land.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

UnkySi
Home club or Range: Oundle Pistol and Rifle Club

Invited to shoot on land.

#1 Post by UnkySi »

I've been invited by a guy I met in the local gun shop to go along to his shooting land. He asked me if I had an open ticket, which I don't. Now reading the wording of my ticket it says "...lawful quarry, and for zeroing in ranges, or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot"
Now said guy is the only person the land owner has given written permission to and will not give to anybody else.
If I go and shoot with him, others do also, am I legally allowed to as the land is cleared to 30-06?
My interpretation (which I will check with my feo) is that as long as it's cleared and I'm with someone who has written permission I'm ok and don't need an open ticket?
My thoughts on open is that I can see if the land is suitable if firearms have not cleared it, it's at my discretion but also on my head be it?
Thanks guys.
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

Re: Invited to shoot on land.

#2 Post by M99 »

No. Even with an open ticket you still need permission. The guy 'shooting' the ground is unlikely to have a written contract giving him the sporting rights, which would then give him the ability to invite you.
As per your condition you would not have lawful authority.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Surely this is a classic 'estate rifle' scenario. S16 of the Firearms Act 1988;

"(1)A person of or over the age of seventeen may, without holding a firearm certificate, borrow a rifle from the occupier of private premises and use it on those premises in the presence either of the occupier or of a servant of the occupier if— .
(a)the occupier or servant in whose presence it is used holds a firearm certificate in respect of that rifle; and .
(b)the borrower’s possession and use of it complies with any conditions as to those matters specified in the certificate."

Definition of "occupier" according to Licencing Guidance;

“The term “occupier” is not defined in the Firearms Acts, nor has a Court clarified its meaning.
However, the Firearms Consultative Committee in their 5th Annual report recommended that the
provisions of section 27 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 be adopted. This states that
‘“occupier” in relation to any land, other than the foreshore, includes any person having any right of
hunting, shooting, fishing or taking game or fish’. In the absence of any firm definition for firearms
purposes, it is suggested that each chief officer of police may wish to make use of this definition.”

If he was to borrow a rifle from the 'occupier' then he'd be good to go (assuming that person has shooting rights - anyone got a definition of what confers shooting 'rights' - i.e. do you need the formal title or can it be verbally given/given in the form of a simple letter from the owner??) any????

Yet again the 'clarification' of the law isn't that clear 8-) A phone call to the FLD is going to be in order i think
DVC
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#4 Post by M99 »

Mark.

He says in his post the owner wont give anyone else permission. He wants to use his own rifle.
I would suggest from the 30 06 it is after Deer.

Pretty straight forward

Mike
Blackstuff

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

"Hey Mr Occupier, do you want to buy my rifle today before we go out"
"Sure, lets sign it onto my certificate and send the transfer notices when we get back"

Shooting commences with the occupiers new rifle loaned to the original owner.

"After shooting your rifle i've decided i don't want it any more, lets sign it back onto your certificate" O:-)

Or he could just use a rifle the occupier already owns.
DVC
UnkySi

#6 Post by UnkySi »

Thanks guys, will make the call today.
UnkySi

#7 Post by UnkySi »

Confirmed by my FEO Today, I can shoot this land, already cleared up to 30-06 I will be using .243.
Cleared and accompanied by "occupier" all kosher.
Blackstuff

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

Sounds like you have a sensible FEO :good:
DVC
Chapuis

#9 Post by Chapuis »

Blackstuff wrote:"Hey Mr Occupier, do you want to buy my rifle today before we go out"
"Sure, lets sign it onto my certificate and send the transfer notices when we get back"

Shooting commences with the occupiers new rifle loaned to the original owner.

"After shooting your rifle i've decided i don't want it any more, lets sign it back onto your certificate" O:-)

Or he could just use a rifle the occupier already owns.
I take it you will have the necessary slot on your certificate and won't need to apply for a 1-4-1. lol