Variation... Again sorry and how many rifles before burglar

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

dave_303

Re: Variation... Again sorry and how many rifles before burg

#11 Post by dave_303 »

Livefast wrote:I was told that Avon and Somerset insist on one at 6......
Yep, 6 for a sounder alarm and 12 for a monitored alarm. I had a 6 month argument with them over the latter, the current team refused to complete my variation until we had something fitted, despite being spoken to by BASC and the fact we had already put out own extra security measures in place.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#12 Post by Daryll »

20series wrote:Cambridgeshire policy is 9 then an alarm is required.

Alan

Strange... when my son applied for his FAC Cambs asked how many total in the house (his and mine) if all slots were filled.

We said 11, and they said thats fine, no need for an alarm then.... but whether thats because ours will be in separate cabinets..??

Daryll.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

There are other considerations such as where you live, house construction and even who your neighbours are so you may find additional requirements are placed on security just because of a family who you have never met at the end of the road.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
RobB
Home club or Range: Cuckfield Rifle Club and OSM (Bisley)

#14 Post by RobB »

Given this thread is about alarms i'll resurrect it by asking about suitable alarms.

Just moved county from Sussex to Devon. Putting aside arguments regarding whether I need an alarm or not, can anyone recommend an alarm to be retrofitted to a 9 gun brattonsound cabinet. A zone alarm is not required (not suitable for the location it's in) so just for the safe itself.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#15 Post by HALODIN »

An alarm fitted to a safe? I've never heard of this... Normally they monitor a room that contains the safe via PIR's or something similar...
RobB

#16 Post by RobB »

Can't do the room monitoring so safe only. And I suspect just a sounder rather than full monitoring.

Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#17 Post by Andy632 »

Ovenpaa wrote:Bedfordshire seemed to base alarms on anything into double figures however that should be firearms, not spare barrels or suppressors.

Another thing to consider is the type, are they happy with a maintained system wireless/hybrid that makes a noise that is invariably ignored by neighbours. Or do they want a fully monitored grade 3 system with shock, breaking glass, anti mask sensors and so on with fully hard wired circuits plus police responce if deemed necessary.

Our neighbours have been advised to walk away if the alarm is triggered here.

That bit made I Larff!! lol

Worth a read:The guidelines (the ACPO Policy) state that the police force will only attend monitored intruder alarms that 'confirm' alarm activations. (ACPO Policy on Police Response to Security Systems - Appendix F (Jan 2013)).
Normally, an alarm is considered 'confirmed' when a second detection device is activated during the same intrusion. This verifies that there is definite movement at the premises and therefore there is less chance of the activation being a false alarm.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

One thing to consider is the alarm is to satisfy the police requirements and even if it monitored and does trigger correctly it is no guarantee anyone will do anything.

At the last place we had a security company as a key holder and were advised that they were all ex forces and also did maritime security so well versed with firearms (WTF!) Also they had a guaranteed on site response of under 10 minutes. Then I pointed out during the interview we had a couple of dogs who might be at home and one was rather large so whoever came would need to be OK with dogs. I was told if the dogs kicked off they would sue us...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#19 Post by HALODIN »

Certain PIR's only react to certain sized objects if that helps. i.e. if you have a dog under a certain weight it should be OK.
RobB wrote:Can't do the room monitoring so safe only. And I suspect just a sounder rather than full monitoring.

RobB

#20 Post by RobB »

Purely to satisfy police requirements and no monitoring mentioned.
And given I've just moved to the area and already seem to have a good rapport with the Firearms Officer, a simple alarm it is.