Gun Cabinet Choice & Securing

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Rockhopper

Re: Gun Cabinet Choice & Securing

#21 Post by Rockhopper »

My FAO wasn't the slightest bit interested in my cabinet, in fact I had to remind him to go and have a look at it!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#22 Post by Ovenpaa »

Your FEO will every bit as interested as you as a a person as much as the general security and location of your cabinet and will almost certainly have made a decision within 15 minutes. Many FEO's have crossed our door in the past, some stopped for a cuppa and some just chatted, all were/are top chaps.

The most interesting meeting we ever had was with a couple of CT types who knocked on the door of the workshop and when I called out, coming, who is it, they shouted back POLICE! The start of a brilliant and informative meeting with two highly knowledgeable chaps with a serious sense of humour.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
scanbran

#23 Post by scanbran »

norwichyarn wrote:
scanbran wrote:I'm very interested in reading about gun storage and locations.

I won't be eligible to apply for an FAC for another few months, but have already begun planning where to locate a cabinet.

I'm thinking my integral garage, which has had the external door walled off from the inside, and there's a new internal wall/door been created at the other end, which will be lockable.

Then I plan to put the actual cabinet/safe inside a wall-to-wall cupboard, which is installed in the garage, so it will be well hidden, and behind at least two locked doors from any point of entry.

As long as it's bolted securely enough to the wall, I'm hoping this will be more than sufficient! fingerscrossed
All the info I have been given both in person and on here suggests it is best to speak to your firearms department and find out what they are happy with as different forces like different things.
I had a quick chat with mine and was advised not to fix the safe until the police have visited and have had a chat as to where is best to fix it and that this would not delay the application process.

Hope that helps.

R

Thanks for that :good:
Rockhopper

#24 Post by Rockhopper »

I agree, it's more about you than anything else.
Ovenpaa

#25 Post by Ovenpaa »

I do agree that different Firearms departments and FEO's have different views and interpretations on security and do not be afraid to challenge the recommendations if you feel they are excessive. Requirements are going to be based on post code and neighbours as much as firearms held and in my experience they seem to be as much concerned with the levels of ammunition held as the number of firearms.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Rockhopper

#26 Post by Rockhopper »

That does seem to be the case. I applied for 2 x .303, 1 x 7.62. 1 x .22 and 1 x .38 along with 500 rounds for each of the big ones and 1000 for the .22

The rifles were never even mentioned when we had our chat, but they refused to let me have 1000 .22!
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#27 Post by WelshShooter »

I had an FEO around last month for my FAC renewal, who I was happy to greet as he is also a fellow shooter I've met on a couple of occasions. The questions were easy and straight forward, he checked out my security arrangement along with confirming the serial numbers on all my firearms and didn't have any concerns. We talked about my full cabinet and I asked if there was a problem about my request for a LBP and a few sound moderators (I only requested these due to my limited space, couldn't pass up a chance to gain extra slots since I was paying for a renewal...) and he saw no problem with it which was great. We went back in the kitchen to finish our cuppa's and we talked about handloading for quarter of an hour or so.

If only all FEO visits were as smooth as this!
Ovenpaa

#28 Post by Ovenpaa »

Rockhopper wrote:That does seem to be the case. I applied for 2 x .303, 1 x 7.62. 1 x .22 and 1 x .38 along with 500 rounds for each of the big ones and 1000 for the .22

The rifles were never even mentioned when we had our chat, but they refused to let me have 1000 .22!
I have just applied for some new slots and added 1500 of each for 30-30, 30-357, .45ACP and .22LR so the reply will be interesting...
/d

Shed Journal
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#29 Post by safetyfirst »

I put in for 2600 .22 with a letter stating I wanted to buy batches of 500 for each of 5 .22 target firearms.

I also submitted proof of participation in national comps to be safe.

Wasn't questioned.