First scope for .308

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

m.plum

First scope for .308

#1 Post by m.plum »

Hi. Can anyone recommend any good second hand scope suitable for .308 rifle
Leupolds are expensive . My budget is up to £180. Any other good brands apart from leupold?
leeroy7031
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: First scope for .308

#2 Post by leeroy7031 »

Hi,

It would helpful to understand what you're using this for, target, hunting etc. Are you looking for fixed power, variable. Use in day, night, poor lighting.

There are plenty of good pieces of glass about, £180 will get you something mediocre/ok IMHO, double this you will get something great. Just remember if you invest and get something with a lifetime warranty you only have to pay once. Second hand of the said items is even better value £800 scope for £350 ;)
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

Have a look at Fox Firearms, Brian does some nice scopes for not much money.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

I have a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 that cost me around £270 new (with the Accu-Range reticle) which I used for a while on my .308. It was a great scope, but I've since upgraded to a Vortex 6-24x50, so I no longer require it. Send me a PM if you're interested and lets see if we can agree on a price.
m.plum

#5 Post by m.plum »

Hi. I will be doing target shooting at 800 yards 1000yards range. So I assume I need at least 24x . There was Nikon monarch 3 24x50 on ebay but sold for 250. I was bidding till 200.
Are Nikon s good? Maybe bushnell elite ?
Thanks for all the answers.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would say take a look at the 'scopes Brian Fox sells http://www.foxfirearmsuk.com/ he used to do a reasonable Chinese one for around GBP120 however it might have gone up a bit now. They are Chinese however they have a good reputation and Brian is a reasonable chap to deal with.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Countryman

First scope for .308

#8 Post by Countryman »

The problem is at that distance you run out of elevation.

You need to start thinking about a 20 Moa rail on the rifle and a scope with a 30mm tube with Mildots.

A 20 Moa rail is about £100 new. The best value scope I have found for 1000 yards is the Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50. You can pick them up second hand around £350.

Our military snipers shoot on 10-12 power so it's not the magnification that is the issue just that you run out of adjustment. The Mildots give you a bit more by allowing you accurate hold over.

Whatever you buy sub £200 for long range shooting will not stay on the rifle for long.

Mind you a Lee Enfield No. 4 will do 1000 yards on Iron Sights with the right ammo and £350 all up will get you shooting long range.

I bought a Nikko Sterling Nighteater for my first time. Sold it after my first unsuccessful trip to the range.
m.plum

#9 Post by m.plum »

Countryman . Thanks! That's what I thought. Nikko stirling and hawke are cheap. I'll stick with bushnell elite / nikon monarch 3 . Second hand of course. That will should do for a start. Thanks .