What will a .22 drop

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: What will a .22 drop

#11 Post by safetyfirst »

It is indeed underestimated. I'm not sure I'd bother on a rhino.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#12 Post by froggy »

From Meles-Meles' own testing statistics on farmer Gilles & other oomans ...

Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

safetyfirst wrote:It is indeed underestimated. I'm not sure I'd bother on a rhino.
Agreed!

It is down to distance and placement. I recently heard about someone who had used a rimfire for the humane despatch of semi Wild Boar. They would come to a food bucket and as they stuck their heads through the fence they were dropped with a single shot to the back of the head.

The .22LR is a superb rifle for vermin control. We have one in for some work at the moment, I suspect it has never been cleaned and has probably accounted for thousands of Rabbit and Hare.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff

#14 Post by Blackstuff »

Call me a paranoid kill-joy but with a ban on "high powered semi-autos" on the cards, is it wise to extol the lethal capabilities of .22lr on a public forum, on a thread started by a new member, giving zero details as to why he/she wants to know such information?

.22lr is for target shooting and small vermin in this country, thats it.

It could be used for other things but then again the back of an axe could be used as a hammer and a couple of sticks can be used to start a fire.
DVC
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#15 Post by snayperskaya »

Blackstuff wrote:Call me a paranoid kill-joy but with a ban on "high powered semi-autos" on the cards, is it wise to extol the lethal capabilities of .22lr on a public forum, on a thread started by a new member, giving zero details as to why he/she wants to know such information?

It could be used for other things but then again the back of an axe could be used as a hammer and a couple of sticks can be used to start a fire.
You might be right in what you've said but nothing has been said that couldn't be found with a quick search on Google, I'm sure if someone was "gathering the dirt" on .22lr there is much more on the 'net in general that what they would find on here.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#16 Post by meles meles »

Ah Froggy, but those data were based on our speshul fast acting bullets. If you add in the very slow acting toxic lead bullets they are trying to ban, the figures get more impressive still... Cross our paw with consultancy fees and we can produce a bit of research that will show beyond all doubt that 99.9% of all oomans ever shot subsequently died.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#17 Post by Les »

My research shows that 100% of people born will die too. shakeshout
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#18 Post by Mattnall »

There is a book that did the rounds of the club many years ago now (not sure of the title but it may have been "The Mighty 22" or similar) which was a collection of anecdotes about the humble 22 round. One story had a hunter shooting a charging elephant and dropping it.

I guess for every hunter that has survived a charging elephant with only a 22 rifle to hand, there are hundreds or even thousands of man-shaped smears in the bush next to a bent 22 rifle and an angry elephant wiping his feet.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#19 Post by channel12 »

There are recorded instances of Innuit hunters taking down a polar bear and grizzly bears. It's all a matter of shot placement and distance. I wouldn't want to face a polar bear with anything less than a .416 Rigby.
Sureshot

#20 Post by Sureshot »

Blackstuff wrote:Call me a paranoid kill-joy but with a ban on "high powered semi-autos" on the cards, is it wise to extol the lethal capabilities of .22lr on a public forum, on a thread started by a new member, giving zero details as to why he/she wants to know such information?

Who gave zeroing details ? I may have asked a question but I believe that's all.
Lets get to the start

I have carried and fired 7.62 down to 357 and below etc on a daily basis so I am not backward regarding the stopping/killing distance of a round.

As a new member I will ask questions to try and get other new members to step up and do the same. you should remember that if a new member asks a question and get the truthful answer they wont make any mistakes.

I may be new to the forum but not to guns or the safe handling of them. So you can be guarenteed that if I as the question I can answer it and then some.

The forum is for everyone in my eyes not just those who have been here for a while