app' for firearm certificate.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

dwdw

app' for firearm certificate.

#1 Post by dwdw »

Am slowly filling in the app' forms. Q15 says details of the max' amount of ammunition to be possessed. Any thoughts on what sort of quantity I need to put down in answer to this question. Rgds Dw.
ozone
Home club or Range: Thorpe Cloud

Re: app' for firearm certificate.

#2 Post by ozone »

Depends what you want them for.

If you are joining a club and want to target shoot, 150 might only last a few meets
but if you are a deer stalker and only shoot once in a blue moon to zero and then
hunt, 10 might last all day.

I started with 150 center fire and a 1000 RF, after 2 years I asked for more and was granted
what I asked for, 300 in center fire.

ozone

DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

#3 Post by DavidRees »

As ozone says, it very much depends what you wish the ammunition for. Your ammunition storage facilities (ie., the ammo safe, or separately lockable part of your gun safe) may also limit what you can ask for.

You should seek to have a limit for each calibre which you would be unlikely ever to exceed. You do have to give a "good reason" for the amounts you request.

For target shooting, I'd recommend something on the order of 1200 or so for .22RF, and perhaps 600 for each centrefire calibre, esp. if you shoot gallery rifle, or other disciplines where substantial amounts of ammunition are needed for a days shooting.

Note that when requesting an ammunition limit, any cost savings that might come from being able to buy "in bulk" do not constitute "good reason". Buying the same batch "for consistency" is a "good reason".

P.S. Ammunition is normally sold either as 50s, 100s, or 500s. It makes sense to have an allowance greater than the maximum amount you might wish to buy, to allow you to have some left in the safe when you buy the next batch-so 1200, not 1000, and 600, not 500.
Last edited by DavidRees on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ozone
Home club or Range: Thorpe Cloud

#4 Post by ozone »

DavidRees wrote:As ozone says, it very much depends what you wish the ammunition for. Your ammunition storage facilities (ie., the ammo safe, or separately lockable part of your gun safe) may also limit what you can ask for.

You should seek to have a limit for each calibre which you would be unlikely ever to exceed. You do have to give a "good reason" for the amounts you request.

For target shooting, I'd recommend something on the order of 1200 or so for .22RF, and perhaps 600 for each centrefire calibre, esp. if you shoot gallery rifle, or other disciplines where substantial amounts of ammunition are needed for a days shooting.

Note that when requesting an ammunition limit, any cost savings that might come from being able to buy "in bulk" do not constitute "good reason". Buying the same batch "for consistency" is a "good reason".
That is a good point and has been mentioned to me before.
Buying in bulk is not a good enough reason but consistency is.

ozone

meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

500 to 600 rounds is usually considered a reasonable amount to possess, per calibre, as a regular shooter will get through 100 rounds per weekend. We applied for that and were granted it by 3 different constabularies. We also asked for 5000 .22 rounds for 'batch consistency' and again had no problems. We also asked to be allowed 2000 rounds of a couple of calibres on the grounds that they were infrequently available and we needed a stock of each that would last several years. We were granted that too.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would suggest 1200 for .22LR and 250-350 for centrefire unless it is expanding which may mean a significant reduction (No idea why!)

As suggested once it has been granted see what your use is and adjust accordingly, just about all of my personal centrefire allowances are 1500 each whereas the Viking is around 600 each - only because that is what we individually asked for.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DavidRees
Past Supporter

#7 Post by DavidRees »

Constabularies can vary widely in what they consider acceptable as far as ammunition limits are concerned, especially on an initial application for an FAC. Some take the view that the puspose of limit is to restrict the amount of ammunition you can have, and will try to keep your limits as low as possible. Others see it as really quite a pointless restriction, and advise you to request a limit which you are in practice never likely to come close to, to prevent you inadvertently exceeding it accidentally.

Given that it's completely on the "honour" system (ie., we're trusted not to exceed the limits set) I tend to take the latter view as more sensible. Unfortunately I don't set the rules!

Be advised that there is no legal upper limit on what you may have, ammunition-wise -- it is entirely up to you to negotiate a limit with your constabulary, based on your ANTICIPATED pattern of usage. There is a publication, the Home Office Guidance on Firearms Legislation (latest version 2015) which you should track down -- it does discuss this, and give examples, but that's all they are -- examples.

If you find your requests for ammunition allowances restricted to a point where you think it will interfere with your shooting, and there is no reason for this (ie, your storage capacity) don't be afraid to push back, and ask for their reasons for restricting your limits "in writing". Surprising how effective that can be.
DavidRees
Past Supporter

#8 Post by DavidRees »

Just noticed in another thread that your .22 rifle is for vermin control. In such circumstances, several hundred "expanding" .22RF bullets may well be enough -- make sure you request "expanding" if you wish to use hollow-point ammunition, for example -- otherwise you won't be able to buy any, even if you are allowed to buy normal (target) .22 ammunition. With "expanding" on your FAC, you have the freedom to buy either.

You can probably ignore most of this thread, if all you are buying is a .22 for vermin.
dwdw

#9 Post by dwdw »

Thanks for all of your replies, sorry should have said I want to use gun for .22 control of vermin. Rgds Dw.
Activ8
Home club or Range: WDRPC, Rossendale, UKPSA & BASC member

#10 Post by Activ8 »

I asked for 1500 .22lr, 600 .308 & 300 slug & was granted them all, bar my slug was reduced to 200. My wife was granted the same & we share a cabinet so in total it could hold 3000 .22lr, 1200 .308 & 400 slug if we wanted.
Current armoury:
CZ 452 Silhouette .22lr B/A Hawke scope
M&P 15-22 MOE FDE .22lr S/A Vortex Sparc II
Benelli Super Nova S1 shotgun with +6 Nordic mag tube
Beretta 1301 S1 shotgun 9+1
Mossberg 500 Magpul S2 shotgun 2+1