Magazines do I need a FAC for them?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Magazines do I need a FAC for them?

#11 Post by saddler »

Mattnall wrote:AFAIK .22LR magazines are not subject to ITAR as they are not "articles specifically designed or otherwise intended for military end-use"
Where in the ITAR rules did you see that .22LR are exempt?
Please post chapter/paragraph details.
The ONLY exemption in ITAR that I've seen from studying it was with regard to shotgun components...so hulls and wads can be shipped from the US (IF you can find a firm willing export)

As I'd posted earlier 10-td & lower size magazines are exempt...
AJSawyer
Home club or Range: SNRPC, NRA Bisley

#12 Post by AJSawyer »

christel wrote:
Pesty wrote:
Yes I post drivel on ph
;)

I like the drivel bit...what does ph mean?
Pistonheads I think?
StangGT
Home club or Range: Phoenix

#13 Post by StangGT »

No Pesty, you'll find this place to your liking... Your PH posts sure aren't drivel.

Check out 'grumpy old men', I think you'll fit in :)
Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

#14 Post by Pesty »

Grumpy old men. Sounds like it was made for me I'll check it out cheers. Wait what you trying to say :)

I've found this site very helpful already. Spent a while looking around for info on cabinates etc I'm sure I'll have more questions when it's time to apply but most have been covered. Great resource, thanks guys.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#15 Post by snayperskaya »

Mattnall wrote:AFAIK .22LR magazines are not subject to ITAR as they are not "articles specifically designed or otherwise intended for military end-use".
What about the Ruger 10/22s the IDF use???.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#16 Post by Mattnall »

saddler wrote:
Mattnall wrote:AFAIK .22LR magazines are not subject to ITAR as they are not "articles specifically designed or otherwise intended for military end-use"
Where in the ITAR rules did you see that .22LR are exempt?
Please post chapter/paragraph details.
The ONLY exemption in ITAR that I've seen from studying it was with regard to shotgun components...so hulls and wads can be shipped from the US (IF you can find a firm willing export)
As I'd posted earlier 10-td & lower size magazines are exempt...
I did not say they are exempt, just that ITAR covers "articles specifically designed or otherwise intended for military end-use" so as I see it may not cover 22lr magazines not designed or intended for military use.

But then again (and as I said above), as the one exporting and potentially being liable for any infraction, the cousin should confirm this before doing anything.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
RichyK2000
Home club or Range: Southdown Gun Club

#17 Post by RichyK2000 »

Hi Guys, Nordic Components via CactusTactical in the US are offering magazine extension tubes which will fit my SXP. Given what I have read above, ( under 10 cartridges and for shotgun ) it would seem they are OK for export. What are your thoughts? On my Shotgun licence I guess I would not be allowed to possess this as it could change my to more than 3 shots. I am thinking ahead more for when I get an FAC so I could use my original gun for tactical shotgun just by changing the magazine. Your thoughts appreciated, especially if I have missed something or misunderstood the law either US export or UK firearms. Cheers.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#18 Post by Mattnall »

Richy,

You should be able to own one in the UK without any problem. Added to your gun it would only make it more front heavy but not increase the capacity as the existing tube should be crimped or otherwise restricted. This is to stop you just adding a tube and increasing the capacity in this manner.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
SevenSixTwo

#19 Post by SevenSixTwo »

Might as well get them - and quick. The EU want to license them.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
RichyK2000
Home club or Range: Southdown Gun Club

#20 Post by RichyK2000 »

Thanks guys. I have an SXP which is restricted to 2 in the magazine by virtue of a removable plastic plug, the length of two cartridges... I read that this gun was restricted to 1+4 in the US originally as it was from Turkey and hence classed by them as an import, despite the Winchester brand.

I will look at getting one to try to 'future proof' my shotgun, as I would only be in a fair position to add it on once I have a FAC. Prior to that it would either be pointlessly empty or not legal on my SGC.

I am going to the US next year on holiday. Any known reason why I can't bring one back with me?

Many thanks in advance.