New team shooter,

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pilmar

New team shooter,

#1 Post by Pilmar »

Hi guys and gals, I have recently taken up shooting as a hobby for now I am looking at target shooting and would love to shoot full bore. I have only ever shot a lee enfiled number 8 rifle at .22 before as an instructor teaching army cadets to shoot and the basics in marksmanship however I found I was good at it and so decieded to take it up.

I am going next week to visit and possibly join a local shooting club and after 6 months probation there (watching and learning) would look at full membership and the long road to a firearms certificate. however before I do this I would just like some advice on what rifle and calibers I should take a look at for full bore shooting as I at a loss...

I would be looking to shoot anywhere from 100 to 1,000 yards

thanks in advance
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

Re: New team shooter,

#2 Post by Mike357 »

Welcome, you'll get plenty advice here.

I would say check out several clubs, shoot everything from 22 thru lever action and full bore and once you have found what you like to shoot then decide on what you want to buy. In the meantime, get saving.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Robin128

#3 Post by Robin128 »

Hi Pilmar...and welcome to the forum.

What sort of budget had you in mind and would you also want to hunt with your new rifle?

:)
Pilmar

#4 Post by Pilmar »

Sorry robin, that might of been useful info to have hey... lol

Hunting is not something I have ever done but would love to try so I might give it a go when I become a more proficiant shooter at the ranges needed for hunting

Im looking to spend anything up to about 800 sterling for my ner rifle to bign with, I will be spending about 1,000 sterling all in all on rifle, bipod, sights, ammunation and clothing
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Welcome Pilmar. :D

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dave 101

#6 Post by Dave 101 »

Welcome to the forum , if you have a club near make some enquiries or even if its not close by but national shooting week is coming up at the end of the month and clubs will be having open days , which will give you a chance to go al;ong for a look and try out .

Dave

http://www.nationalshootingweek.co.uk/
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#7 Post by 20series »

Hi Pilmar

Firstly welcome to the forum, plenty of help and advice available just ask, remember the only stupid question is one not asked!!

If you're looking at shooting 100 out to 1000 occasionally I would look at a .308/7.62x51, there is plenty of them about to suit most budgets and ammunition is easily available off the shelf or if you want to get into reloading (you do, trust me :D ) you can fiddle to your hearts content.

Ask around at your club, if it's like mine (Oundle) people will help and advise and generally let you have a go, try different rifles and calibres to see what you fancy.

HTH
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Welcome to the forum Pilmar, where are you in the UK? Another vote for .308 which is a very capable rifle to 1000 yards and you will be spoilt for choice, another workable alternative is 6.5x55 - downside is you cannot easily buy milsurp for it and ammunition is generally slightly more expensive unless you jump in with both feet and immediately start reloading.

You could also go down the .223 or .303 route.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

Welcome to the forum Pilmar,

We do have a few riflemakers on this forum, they are more than happy to help, point you in the right direction.

I know it is early days for you however when you get to the reloading side of things and trust me you will then please ask away here, there are many knowledgeable people in that area on this forum.

Enjoy!
:D
Robin128

#10 Post by Robin128 »

If you like to fiddle...then you could buy new and as time moves on change this and that to improve your grouping...

I started off a 308win (M24 A2 look alike) rifle with a £700 Remington 700 Varmint...look what happened!

:D

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... lit=m24+a2