Air rifle for 8yr old

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

BaconButty
Home club or Range: ARPC

Air rifle for 8yr old

#1 Post by BaconButty »

I'm looking to get my Son an air rifle for his 8th Birthday (will be kept with my rifles and only used when supervised.)
Does anyone know of, or have any recommendations for, any youth sized air rifles going cheap? Just a simple break barrel is all thats needed. Combo deals with a scope/bag etc would be cool too. I'm not looking to spend a vast amount as it's just for him to learn the principles at the range/in the garden.
I went to Basingstoke Airgun Centre today but they're not there anymore it seems!

He's a member of the same rifle club as me and has used my .22 a few times, however I can't stretch to getting a 10/22 for him (plus Hampshire's variation wait times means it would be waaaay past his birthday before I got an extra slot on my ticket. wallhead )
BaconButty

Re: Air rifle for 8yr old

#2 Post by BaconButty »

I know the bushcraft community can be a bit funny about Bear Grylls, but my boy is a cub scout and BG is chief scout, so I might actually consider this one.. lol
https://www.riflecraft.co.uk/gamo-bear- ... ine-barrel

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

BSA Meteor?......a British classic
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Countryman

#4 Post by Countryman »

Saw the range of BG rifles by Gamo today.

The one above is perfect for an 8 year old. They do a largely black one in the range that is polymer and very light but the length was good for my 12 year old girl so a bit big for 8.

Cometa produce a youth rifle of very similar size and layout to the above but with a wood stock.I might have that one about in nearly new if you are interested.
BaconButty

#5 Post by BaconButty »

Cheers for the info.

Decided on this I think:

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/gamo-delta-177

Simple, light, youth/jnr size, accurate. Winner :good:
Activ8
Home club or Range: WDRPC, Rossendale, UKPSA & BASC member

#6 Post by Activ8 »

Look at the Hatsan breaker 900x, we sell bucket loads. The Gamo's are ok though but look at the full size ones, he'll outgrow a Jnr very quickly & the adult isn't much bigger, similar weight & twice the power! Pretty much the same with any brand to be honest when comparing Jnr to adult.
Current armoury:
CZ 452 Silhouette .22lr B/A Hawke scope
M&P 15-22 MOE FDE .22lr S/A Vortex Sparc II
Benelli Super Nova S1 shotgun with +6 Nordic mag tube
Beretta 1301 S1 shotgun 9+1
Mossberg 500 Magpul S2 shotgun 2+1
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#7 Post by saddler »

BSA Cadet....appreciates in value too!
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#8 Post by hitchphil »

Scouts have a huge discount deal to buy Gamo break back 177 air rifles & then if they get into sporting shooting the Air Arms 177 MPR - Sporter air rifle. Scouts teach shooting but only with 177 as its more accurate & is not a hunting cal. They shoot non human / animal targets, a row of empty shot gun shells 1 filled with water is a great & safe team shoot. The coaches are all shooters, qualified, experienced in coaching kids & insured. Scouts have for some years been the primary source of new shooters & talent to the GB Jnr Squads.

In a club environment he may find things can be more fun varied & managed professionally, am afraid we have seen many a 12 year old put off shooting for life by being given the opportunity by parents to shoot things like 303. Little, light weight, often, fun & progress when ready & capable vs eager is proven.

NB Whilst bones are growing holding weight up & use of sling need to be carefully managed They should also wear ear plugs even with a 177 air rifle, the sound 3feet round the front of a muzzle is sufficient to cause damage at that age, especially if they forget to put a pellet in - they are not always behind it where its less, or when mates are having a go with them. 2 foot of plastic strimmer wire thru the barrel is easy, quick, visual & safe, anything else has been found to be unsafe & incidents then do occur.

If you want to teach him how to really shoot its a great place to start. Good luck.

Scout Skills Instructor Shooting (Herts, Hants, Surrey)
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Livefast
Home club or Range: Bristol and District

#9 Post by Livefast »

My 7 year old daughter uses a Gamo Delta cadet, which is mostly plastic, very easy to cock and hold.
Makin' smoke and raising his carbon footprint one round at a time!
Nick Hulme
Home club or Range: RCRPSC

#10 Post by Nick Hulme »

If you can find a second hand HW-25 in good condition you won't stand to lose much when you come to sell it and get something bigger,
Regards,
Nick