Will 4 inches matter to me?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

Re: Will 4 inches matter to me?

#11 Post by Pesty »

Just going on what's said above. I really don't know about long range precision it's all new to me. I intend to reload to keep costs down

ok so rebarreled is out.

Think I'll stick with 308. The 20 is OK to 600 so I'll stick with that spend more on the scope. If I do get the itch to go further out then consider a different Caliber then.

Tikka T3 super varmint by the way other was the tikka tactical 24 inch which as far as I can see is pretty much the same rifle but extra treatment on the barrel ( lead lapping? ) and the all important 4 inches.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

Handloading rarely if ever saves you any money but it does allow you to shoot more.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#13 Post by mag41uk »

Pesty wrote:Just going on what's said above. I really don't know about long range precision it's all new to me. I intend to reload to keep costs down

ok so rebarreled is out.

Think I'll stick with 308. The 20 is OK to 600 so I'll stick with that spend more on the scope. If I do get the itch to go further out then consider a different Caliber then.

Tikka T3 super varmint by the way other was the tikka tactical 24 inch which as far as I can see is pretty much the same rifle but extra treatment on the barrel ( lead lapping? ) and the all important 4 inches.
You wont go wrong with the super varmint.
I have one in...........260 Remington!
mullen7
Home club or Range: Clydevalley PC

#14 Post by mullen7 »

Dromia, interesting statement. I've always believed it to be cheaper? If my memory serves me correctly, I can buy 20x .223 rounds from my club for £25. (I know I can get it cheaper but I'm limited until my ticket comes through). However, a friend of mine will let me reload 50 rounds for 15 quid, and it's not crap, Lapua Brass, SMK heads, n140 powder and CCI small rifle primers. I wouldn't expect him to put himself at a loss so often, it wouldn't make sense considering he's now retired aswell?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Mullen7 - I have lost count of the GBP000's we have spent on reloading and if I could start again I would make so many changes to the way we started. Reloading has some constants such as consumables and some variables such as equipment and it is the latter than can work out incredibly expensive.

We have a Harrell Culver thrower that cost a small fortune that is no doing the rounds in the village as it was only good for spherical powders and I have lost track of how many different weighing systems we have here yet only one is in constant use. Same goes for presses and dies. It is as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#16 Post by Maggot »

It depends how you quantify cost.

Per round reloading is significantly cheaper for me, particularly with the 30 cals.....Mind you I did the maths so that's probably wrong!!! lol

It also gives a better accuracy than factory for the 556 and 308 (and still works out cheaper than millsurp 556 and is set to get cheaper still).

But, when you add time, the fact that with more you can shoot more (probably more than if you just bought factory) and the gear.....

That said, my gear is good quality and will have a half decent resale value, I enjoy reloading and it gives certain advantages so yes, for me its the way to go.

People dont usually reload over here to cut costs, more usually because their loading is not readilly available/available at all or they want to get the best out of their rifle and cant achieve it with factory.

Also, you can stock up with components in many cases well over your holding limit which makes sense sometimes as buying components in bulk can work out a shed load cheaper.

Or they enjoy it.
Maggot

#17 Post by Maggot »

PS

Regards you size matters debacle, consider this.

I shot reasonably well with an old £100 rifle in an FTR club. It was some years before my wind reading ability warranted the outlay of a dedicated FTR rig (some might say it never warranted it).

I still have that rifle and is shoot very well out to 600, it will go futher but I would have to hammer the old girl and I like just shooting her with a sling at 600. I no longer have the dedicated FTR rig.

Consider whether you are going to shoot comps or not, and if so will the rifle cut it or more importantly be legal for your early attempts.

Also, consider how often you are likley to shoot past 600? If its once in a blue moon buy the 20" rifle and go enjoy. My AR with an 18" barrel and poxy 556 bullets does nicely enough mag rested at 600 so a 20" 308 should give you a load of fun.

BUY the best glass you can afford and try before you buy, glass tends to be kept, rifles move on.

IF you fancy shooting dedicated long range shooting here's the drill.

1. Develop a 1000yard stare....you will be doing it a lot.

2. Have you brains kicked out...I did, it helped

3. Learn to accept that s*** happens

4. Re motgage the house, you will need it for the latest piece of kit everyone needs because X uses it and he wins (oddly the bloke/lass might just be able to shoot regardless). We had an odd influx of March Scopes into one club I am in, the scores never improved, they just missed with more panache lol

5. Get a divorce 5mith

6. Set up home on Stickledown

In short go with your gut instinct. There are loads of rifles that are good at long range and people just love to pop up and tell you what they are, but many of them require dedicated long range precision chamberings which need heavy barrels, highly developed hand loads, and will burn out in a season. They also require experience to get the best out of, best learned on something cheaper (Christ, I sound like a right condescending t*@t, I just dont want you to do what I did and slip into a bottomless pit of spending in a discilpine I should never had started....I was slow to realise and in effect stopped shooting for fun)

A 20" .308 offers so much in terms of flexibility and one of the widest choice of ammo and components ever (as well as info to go with it).

I agree the 24" might help, but my 26" is no long range precision rifle so do you need it?

Crack on mate and enjoy
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

Wise words from Mr Maggot :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

#19 Post by Pesty »

1) got one
2) done
3)done
4) done and done
5) never got married
6) don't know what that means but I'll do it.

Won't be often over 600 so I'll stick with the tikka SV but guess what tikka just updated the range to the T3x not sure if it will be available when I get my licence but who knows

Thanks for the advice guys.
Maggot

#20 Post by Maggot »

Pesty wrote:1) got one
2) done
3)done
4) done and done
5) never got married
6) don't know what that means but I'll do it.

Won't be often over 600 so I'll stick with the tikka SV but guess what tikka just updated the range to the T3x not sure if it will be available when I get my licence but who knows

Thanks for the advice guys.
Thanks mate, love the reply, that just made me laugh :D

Stickldown is the 1200 yard range at Bisley ;) Its haunted with the cries of shooters who have thought it needed 6 when it only needed 2 or it was so windy they got booted off the point as they could not get on the board :squirrel: