First .22 LR

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Blacknsilver
Home club or Range: Bangor

First .22 LR

#1 Post by Blacknsilver »

Hi guys. I am looking to buy my first .22 rimfire.
It's going to be used for informal targets and hunting.
I have been looking at the CZ455. I really like the thumb hole stock. There is a nice grey laminated stock with fluted barrel. At the moment that's at the top of my list. The anschutz is another that's on my list although I haven't shouldered one yet. They also do a nice looking thumb hole stock. Are thumbhole stocks the right choice for target shooting? Or does it boil down to how comfortable the rifle is your holding?
The CZ comes with a 20in barrel which if I buy new from the shop I can have cut down. Will this affect its accuracy performance?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Mark
Countryman

Re: First .22 LR

#2 Post by Countryman »

I have the CZ 455 in .17HMR and with the LEI moderator fitted in my opinion it's the finest rabbit rifle I've ever used.

Last time I used it at a 100m range I was shooting the tacks out that held the target on. Literally a tack driver.

.22 means there is a lot of pressure on the shooter to correctly estimate range to correct for bullet drop. The HMR is virtually laser flat to 120m and out to 200m you will drop the bunny without compensating at all.

.22 has the advantage of subsonic loads but that and cost of ammo is really is best trick. Subsonic loads in a short barrel will make longer range shots more challenging.

Many small bore ranges won't allow us of .17HMR.

Funnily enough I have a number of .22 rifles for range disciplines and pretty much use the .17 for bunnies exclusively.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

You can comfortably drop to 16" with a .22LR and I have cut them back to 14" and still used them out to 70 yards to great effect. I am a big fan of the CZ452 as an alternative to the 455. For hunting you may find a Semi Auto a better option depending on your style of shooting.

As far as accuracy and the CZ's goes I have shot Flys at 25m :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#4 Post by saddler »

Save your money & give the 455 a miss.

Look for a BRNO Model 2....or a 452
Put the money saved onto s better scope & ammunition for practicing with...or a Boyd's thumbhole stock.

MUCH better build quality on the earlier BRNO .22's.
Had a Model 2 for about 30 years....only sold it as i found an even older Model 1.
No need for bull barrels....my Model 2 still puts 5 shots into ragged one-hole groups...and that's sfter I chopped it back to 16"

Don't get swayed by the Bangor High Street shops' sales patter, as the 455 is NOT a better option...just a bad redesign with questionable "improvements" that look great on paper.
Blacknsilver

#5 Post by Blacknsilver »

That throws a spanner in the works. Was hoping for the thumbs up on the cz.
More research needed.
I do like the look of the bull barrel and fluted style. Maybe not necessary but looks go a long way. Will take a look at Boyds thumb hole stocks.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

The CZ452 is an excellent rifle, available fairly cheaply second hand and not too expensive new (BRNO and CZ are the same but for a few pedantic points, I have a Mod2 BRNO and a CZ452 and the only real difference is the name stamped on the side).

If you want a semi you could do a lot worse than a Ruger 10/22, and my advice on buying a 10/22, get a standard one and only play with changing bits as you feel you need them. No need to pay loads for a 'special one' and then still change bits on it.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#7 Post by Les »

I have a CZ455 in a laminate TH stock. It has a 20" barrel, and ...... I wish I had bought the CZ452 when they were still available. :cry:

The 455 is OK, but if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#8 Post by saddler »

Mattnall wrote:If you want a semi you could do a lot worse than a Ruger 10/22, and my advice on buying a 10/22, get a standard one and only play with changing bits as you feel you need them. No need to pay loads for a 'special one' and then still change bits on it.
Been pondering what semi-auto .22's are a lot worse.
Drawn a blank...

Better .22 semi-auto's are out there for a lot less initial outlay, plus don't then require 90% of what you buy to be binned/scrapped as & when you get the funds to upgrade

THE .22 I have been searching for for years is the HK270.
The .22 I have at present is a Browning Buckmark carbine - close to perfect & next to no draw-backs. Several of the Scottish Gallery rifle team use these instead of the 10/22 - with a few having ditched their highly tuned Ruger's for the Browning.

The S&W MP15-22 has a lot going for it too.

Remington 597 are now very good. They DID have major problems at first, so do the research & avoid an early made one, or series 1 & 2 magazines; speaks volumes for Remington that it took them three attempts at getting the magazine problems fixed.

If you have concerns on the possible EU ban?
The 10/22 both was & IS a military issue arm. US forces in VietNam & currently with the Israeli forces (for riot control; but after a few deaths they dropped the "non-lethal" designation...)
Blacknsilver

#9 Post by Blacknsilver »

Les wrote:I have a CZ455 in a laminate TH stock. It has a 20" barrel, and ...... I wish I had bought the CZ452 when they were still available. :cry:

That's not a great thing to hear when your about to spend some cash on a gun.

So would you go for a cz452 or a totally different gun?
saddler

#10 Post by saddler »

Blacknsilver wrote:
Les wrote:I have a CZ455 in a laminate TH stock. It has a 20" barrel, and ...... I wish I had bought the CZ452 when they were still available. :cry:

That's not a great thing to hear when your about to spend some cash on a gun.

So would you go for a cz452 or a totally different gun?
BRNO Model 2
CZ 452
...in that order

The BRNO firm was bought out/taken over by the CZ firm.
They continued the Model 2, re-branding it as the 452
The 452 is a Model 2 copy built to a lower standard, slightly
The 455 is a POS "upgrade" of the 452 - PURELY for engineering reasons - not end-user benefits

The Model 2/452 design is one that'll never be really improved on from the point of view of the folk using them.#
As I said before, I had mine for 30 years!

BUT
If you want to look around, also see what classic older models you like the look of. Some older models are good value for money & still give great service on the range, but they may not be as suitable for some types of competition shooting due to magazine size/layout, etc. & some will not have scope grooves & the like.