Diy section 1?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

deciduousedan

Diy section 1?

#1 Post by deciduousedan »

Hi all,
I have just been watching some videos on YouTube. Where people have been making there own rifles from scratch. Most of these were in the USA and people were building semiautos. Which got me thinking could I in the UK, build a single shot version of one of these rifles by not manufacturing the gas parts. Send it off to be proofed and legally own it on a section one, provided I had a free slot for the calibre?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Diy section 1?

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes you can certainly build one yourself and there is no legal requirement to have it Proofed unless you plan to sell it, only issue would be insurance if shooting at a club range as they may have a view on firearms that out of Proof.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

You would also need individual slots on you FAC to acquire all the pressure bearing parts as well as a slot for the completed rifle

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
BamBam

#4 Post by BamBam »

There's a member here who built his own AR-15 from parts he imported through an RFD.
deciduousedan

#5 Post by deciduousedan »

Well that's good to hear I did try googling the answer and just got loads of uninformed newspaper articles about guns being bad!
BamBam

#6 Post by BamBam »

What exactly do you want to build?
deciduousedan

#7 Post by deciduousedan »

I was thinkin of an ak type as quite a bit can be built from scratch. How easy is it to bring in parts?
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#8 Post by safetyfirst »

Having a friendly RFD will help you a lot, otherwise you'll have to have a slot for all the pressure bearing parts as Dromia says.

With a friendly RFD you could never own any of the components and they can sign it into your ticket when it's complete and back from proof.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

deciduousedan wrote:I was thinkin of an ak type as quite a bit can be built from scratch. How easy is it to bring in parts?
Far easier to buy a Saiga or similar Romanian or Bulgarian rifle that is already straight pull.Getting all the parts would be hard over here, they have it easy in the States as they can buy "parts kits" to which they add US-made receivers etc.
I have seven bare receivers for sale in Europe but I don't think they will export them to the UK and an AR type rifle would be easier to build than an AK as an AR is modular whereas the front and rear trunnions on an AK are rivetted and they are specially designed rivets.The barrels are pressed and pinned and to select the correct barrel you need to know the journal size of the trunnion you wish to use etc.

To be honest it would be a royal pain to get all the parts necessary, the build tools required for rivetting trunnions etc.You would be hard pushed to find a gas block that was undrilled etc etc

This sort of thing is far easier in the States as everything is easily available and as i said they can easily purchase a parts kit for, as an example, a 1960s Russian AKM and thereby have all the parts that match.

Around £650 would get you a brand new Romanian straight-pull AKM with none of the hassle.......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
deciduousedan

#10 Post by deciduousedan »

Yes I expect that it is probably cheaper just to buy one. I did see one chap making a tool to go inside the trunnion so he could use a hydraulic press for the riveting. Am I right in thinking it would be no good to get a ordinary gas block and weld it because once section 5 always section 5? And would that also exclude used parts which would be the unmodified on a section 1 build?