303 magazine platforms

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

marko686
Home club or Range: shandon rifle and pistol club

303 magazine platforms

#1 Post by marko686 »

Hi all I need some magazine platforms and I seen these on ebay , they are not for the no4 mk2 which I have but was wondering wont they fit just the same ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ww2-LEE-ENFIE ... Sw-YVXlNQ2

I know Valmont firearms sells ones to fit mine but thought id ask anyway , thanks.
TomEnfield
Home club or Range: LERA

Re: 303 magazine platforms

#2 Post by TomEnfield »

There for the SMLE so it's highly likely they won't fit you No4 mk2. You could try them and see if you can fettle with them till they fit but it might be a total pain. A correct mag spring would likely need fettling to, the mags are quite finicky.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

marko686 wrote:Hi all I need some magazine platforms and I seen these on ebay , they are not for the no4 mk2 which I have but was wondering wont they fit just the same ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ww2-LEE-ENFIE ... Sw-YVXlNQ2

I know Valmont firearms sells ones to fit mine but thought id ask anyway , thanks.

Here's a useful pictorial guide to the differences - scroll down the page - you can't miss it.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... hey-differ

In my experience the SMLE platforms are not a viable option - even if you are prepared to fettle. The feed guide (or whatever it is called) on the platform is entirely different - it's longer and has a different profile. I bought some in error and they would not feed.

I sent them back and received replacements for the No4 Mk1 part number BB 8597
These have only the tiniest differences to the original in my No4 Mk2. They're so slight that it could just be down to wear on my original and / or different manufacturers. In any event I've found them to work just fine.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Dark Skies

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

Having had a good look at the ones the seller on Ebay is offering I'm not so sure that he IS selling SMLE platforms - I think he may have made a mistake - the nose of the feed is blunt (like the No.4) rather than the rounder profile of earlier rifles. It also looks shorter in length.
marko686
Home club or Range: shandon rifle and pistol club

#5 Post by marko686 »

Thanks for the advice guys il maybe mail the guy see what he says, failing that il just get the ones from valmont if he has any :)
Dark Skies

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

marko686 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys il maybe mail the guy see what he says, failing that il just get the ones from valmont if he has any :)
Ask him to measure from the front of the platform to the beginning of the profile of the nose of the guide - I don't know the technical name - the beginning of the raised bump. It should be 20mm for a No.4 if it's a lot less then it's a SMLE platform.