Variation in Somerset

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

Variation in Somerset

#1 Post by ArcofZen »

Right guys, I've spent some time using the search function but have yet to find the information I'm after. If you can link to a helpful thread then please do!

If not, and at the risk of being flamed... I have the following questions O:-)

My FAC currently has .22lr semi auto, 500rnds expanding ammunition and moderator listed for vermin control. I would like to send off a copy of my FAC, along with a Variation request to Somerset/South West Constabulary. My reason will be for use at the range/target shooting, of which I've now been a member since January of this year.

Obviously they want to know what kinds of firearms and calibre I would like, along with quantity. Is it wise to try and go for everything and maximum amounts of ammunition and let them knock it down or be circumspect and ask for less?

Here's what I'd probably go for:

500rnds .223/5.56 bolt action/straight pull rifle
300rnds .303 Bolt action/SP
500rnds .308/7.62 Bolt action/SP

Section one shotgun? I assume this goes on my FAC?

Have I been a club member for long enough and is it realistic to ask for 500 7.62?! To be honest I quite fancy buying a spam can so it'd be a shame to only get ~100rnds.

Your thoughts? Flames? :good:

P.s I've had some advice that I'd be lucky to get more than 300 of any centre fire cartridge. Hopefully you can tell me different.
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Variation in Somerset

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

500 rounds is not unreasonable some people have more than that.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

All we will be doing is speculating, the only way you will know is to put in the variation with good reasons and ask. The more good reason you can give the stronger your application will be.

The decision is up to your firearms certification people and there is no consistency across the country never mind within certification authorities.

You only need to state the calibre and that it is a rifle there is no need to state the action, that is only entered when you have acquired the firearm.

Section 1 FAC, section 2 SGC.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

+1 with what Dromia said above.....also consider how much ammunition you can store, depending on the size of your cabinet/safe.

I asked to hold a 1000 7.62x54r and a 1000 7.62x39 and got both no problem.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

#5 Post by ArcofZen »

Thanks for all the replies.

Am I right in thinking that its better then to ask for more then? And the worst that happens is that the certificate is returned with less than you asked for rather than being refused?

[edit] Forgot to mention that I have a six gun safe for firearms and a two gun safe for ammunition.
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s
morph007
Home club or Range: Kentucky Firearms club

#6 Post by morph007 »

Something that I do for every variation and I think it help as I always get what I ask for, is to attach a letter outlining your intentions of use. I know we have to put
a reason down on the form but I always add a few extra lines in a letter to explain in greater detail.

Some might think this is to much and that we shouldn't have to justify a reason why. I just think the more info you give them the better their understanding and it also
shows that you have thought through your reasons for both the firearm and ammo amount.

Like I said it works for me.
If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson.
Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

#7 Post by Swamp Donkey »

If you are a club shooter, i see no reason you should be turned down. But if you are planning on buying 500x cans of 7.62/308, ask for 750/800 or you can't buy till you are out.

I have
1500 22lr
800 7.62/308
800 222
600 357
600 38
750 243
800 260
600 7mm saum
500 338LM

So 750 of each isn't unreasonable.

Also,make sure you put 5.56/223 and 7.62/308 as some places have been known to not sell you 5.56 with a 223 allowance or 7.62 with a 308 allowance.

Sent from my mobile using "An application"
Rockhopper

#8 Post by Rockhopper »

Be aware of the cost of the all that ammunition as well! We only fire maybe 45-50 round maximum on a range day of which we only have five or six a year. Obviously if you have more then thats good but the costs can mount up rather quickly!
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#9 Post by safetyfirst »

Derbyshire have changed to a single figure for ammunition now, the amount you can possess. Just FYI.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

Yes it is all maximum amounts now, the hold and acquire amounts went out a while ago. When we were shafted over the fees issue.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/