Gun case / slip

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Gun case / slip

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#12 Post by saddler »

Pesty wrote:Don't know about bore socks I've been using these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
It'd be worth shopping around as the Remington ones are not far off that price for a double pack.
SimG swears by them....especially on night duty in the winter months.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

We use Swedish Army scarves, they are a tubular construction and used to be around GBP1.00 each if you ordered a dozen or so. Cut one end off and slide them over the gun, they seem to fit everything from a shotgun through to a 'scoped rifle although I doubt I could stuff my AI in one. They were on that well known auction site.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#14 Post by WelshShooter »

HALODIN wrote:I use Bore Store gun socks when they're in the cabinet. They protect the rifles from dings and mean I can stack them up against each other without any real consideration, just ram them in. They come in all shapes and sizes.

In terms of rifle slips, I like Jack Pyke slips at £38
Neat. I was looking at getting those gun socks quite a while ago. Can they accomodate decent sized scopes? My two largest rifles are Tikka T3 with a Vortex 6-24x50 scope; and the other is a Remington 700 with IOR 3-18x42 with an AICS. I was wondering whether they could accommodate these. What are the biggest rifles you have for your gun socks, and which size sock did you get.
MistAgain

#15 Post by MistAgain »

Pesty wrote:Don't know about bore socks I've been using these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Remington socks are made for them by Sackups , top quality , mine is over 20 years old and still works .
Unlike the cheapo chinese knock offs that will probably only last a year or so .
S2sosmart

#16 Post by S2sosmart »

Just bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sack-Ups-Shotg ... s=Sack+ups

Let's see how it goes with that for starters. Thanks for the advice folks.

By the blurb it looks to fit the bill perfectly, I'll report back on my findings,

Si
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#17 Post by HALODIN »

Yes. My scoped M14-EBR with Harris bipod is in one, my scoped FAL has one, my scoped Anschutz Match 54 has one, as does my scoped AR-15. My SMLE and 1894SS both have one as well, but neither are scoped. They do stretch a bit, but there isn't enough room for mags as well, but I store those separately anyway. The gun socks are as thick as they look in the previous picture, which means you don't need to worry about dinging your rifles, they're really well protected and the velcro holds the weight of the rifle with ease.

There's no sign of any rust on any rifle kept in one, although some steel bolts on a rifle in the same cabinet, but not in a sock has some surface rust. The house does have some damp problems (Collyweston slate roof), so I'd say it's protected them from damp as well. I can't praise them enough, I've been meaning to buy a few more, but haven't got round to it. I don't specifically remember which sizes I ordered, but if you want me to measure the gun socks I can.

You order them direct from their website (no UK distributors) and they'll contact you with a UK shipping quote which was £20 when I ordered 6 a few years ago.

http://borestores.com/order_online.php? ... le%20Cases
WelshShooter wrote:Neat. I was looking at getting those gun socks quite a while ago. Can they accomodate decent sized scopes? My two largest rifles are Tikka T3 with a Vortex 6-24x50 scope; and the other is a Remington 700 with IOR 3-18x42 with an AICS. I was wondering whether they could accommodate these. What are the biggest rifles you have for your gun socks, and which size sock did you get.
Alpha1 wrote:Were can you buy the bore stores socks.