Length of pull

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

EDP
Home club or Range: TWTSC

Length of pull

#1 Post by EDP »

Hope this doesn't sound like a daft question but is length of pull supposed to be the same between rifles and shotguns? I know what I find fits/comfortable for target and full bore rifles but have seen almost no reviews of any shotguns with a similar LOP - they all seem longer. Amy info will be appreciated!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Length of pull

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

In general, rifles and the type of shooting you do with them is far more forgiving in terms of LoP than with shotguns, which must fit to get consistent good results. Further, the LoP will differ, possibly significantly, between a standing stance and a prone stance depending on the build of the person, hence why a rifle and shotgun used by the same person may require a different LoP.
DVC
EDP

#3 Post by EDP »

Thanks Blackstuff - so I've gotta try out LOTS of shotguns then. That's fine, more time in toy shops!
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

You can also get them shortened if needed and it is a simple enough job. We have a rifle in that needs the LOP shortening by 1/4" which is not a lot however it makes a difference when you need to get the rifle up in the rush when shooting Boar.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

Isn't there a "rough and ready" guide to a reasonable LoP..?

I seem to remember being told that if you put the butt in the crook of your elbow, and your finger can comfortably reach the trigger, its about right..??
Rockhopper

#6 Post by Rockhopper »

Thats how the Army do it but as said above, it does depend on which discipline you are going to be shooting.
Blackstuff

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Daryll wrote:Isn't there a "rough and ready" guide to a reasonable LoP..?

I seem to remember being told that if you put the butt in the crook of your elbow, and your finger can comfortably reach the trigger, its about right..??
It might mean something for a rifle but its complete Horlicks for a shotgun. The only quick/easily written test I know of is to mount the gun and there should be between 2-3 fingers of space between the tip of your nose and the base of your thumb. The rest would talk half an hour to write out or 2 minutes to demonstrate!
DVC
Rockhopper

#8 Post by Rockhopper »

I have a lovely old english shotgun that is sadly way too short for me - I shot a 50 bird sporting the other week and as well as the burnt left hand (must get some gloves) I also had a lovely split lip from where my fingers hit it each time I fired the damn thing :-)
EDP

#9 Post by EDP »

I see that a fair few shotguns have LOP spacers for between the stock and pad - that'll probably be a good direction to head in. My favourite so far has been a Silver Pigeon that's been provided for lessons. I'll get them to check the LOP on that one.
Thanks again for all the helpful tips folks!
Rockhopper

#10 Post by Rockhopper »

The spacers are more for fine tuning, my gun needs about half an inch!