Bringing equipment from the US (what is banned)?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

Re: Bringing equipment from the US (what is banned)?

#21 Post by TomH »

Are gunstocks OK to bring back as luggage? A lot of US dealers won't ship here because of the paperwork. I want one and work with a company that has staff going across to the US all the time.
BamBam

#22 Post by BamBam »

The exchange rate is really crap right now, I bought a $1000 at $1.49/£1, but I see on my credit card bill that recent purchases were at $1.18/£1.

Cabelas and Gander Mountain sales racks instead of full price stuff. I even drove past that Bass Pro Pyramid on my way through Memphis, but already had full bags and 4 hours drive ahead of me. So decided to keep going.
BamBam

#23 Post by BamBam »

TomH wrote:Are gunstocks OK to bring back as luggage? A lot of US dealers won't ship here because of the paperwork. I want one and work with a company that has staff going across to the US all the time.
I would for myself, but asking someone else can be problematic. Some stocks can be fragile and need to be packed correctly.
jdwoodbury
Home club or Range: Stourport Pistol & Rifle Club

#24 Post by jdwoodbury »

BamBam wrote:
jdwoodbury wrote: Luckily I travel so often I get 2 bags and 50kg free ;-)
Already ordered a scope from Amazon.ca which is 50% of the UK cost!!
In that case, can I place an order? lol
I had to lookup Canada export controls, in relation to optics it states the following is exempt (looks even more restrictive than ITAR):

Optical weapon sights without electronic image processing, with a magnification of 4 times or less, provided they are not specially designed or modified for military use.
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#25 Post by TomH »

BamBam wrote:
TomH wrote:Are gunstocks OK to bring back as luggage? A lot of US dealers won't ship here because of the paperwork. I want one and work with a company that has staff going across to the US all the time.
I would for myself, but asking someone else can be problematic. Some stocks can be fragile and need to be packed correctly.
Thanks BamBam. Will take heed.