First Bisley Trip

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Individual
Past Supporter

Re: First Bisley Trip

#11 Post by Individual »

Triffid wrote: And while you're there, don't forget to pop into Fultons so they can ignore you, patronise you and over-charge you.

Triffid
And Jenny's Alfresco Bistro is highly recommended.
Offering a fine selection of...erm ...bacon flavoured things.
Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

#12 Post by Alberto »

Thanks for all the tips. I think we'll need some more bad weather gear. Hand warmers stand out as something I hadn't considered. Is there a favoured brand? I've found the intro doc and some others on the NRA web site.

Thanks
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by 1066 »

There are several types of handwarmers, each has it pros and cons.

Chemical use once type - cheap and work ok, don't get as hot or last as long as stated. Just open them and expose to air and they heat up quite quick, handy to keep a couple in your shooting bag as a backup.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Warmers- ... raziQFNVRQ

Liquid filled type - Just click a little metal activator to start them off. Work OK for a couple of hours, should be re-usable by slow boiling but a bit of a faff.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-REUSABLE-H ... ejA5KDtsxw

Charcoal burners - work ok but tend to smell a bit smoky and not always easy to get started.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Summit-Solid- ... Sw54xUWlRL

Petrol with a catalyst activator - These are the ones I prefer. They come in various sizes, look like an old Zippo lighter
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flameless-Han ... SwmLlX8nn9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ultraligh ... rkt%3D1%26

Very cheap from China.

There's also electric rechargeable ones but I've never tried them.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alberto

#14 Post by Alberto »

Thanks for the hand warmer links. The petrol hand warmer sounds interesting, if not entirely safe. :)
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Rockhopper

#15 Post by Rockhopper »

I have a Zippo one - its a catalytic thing so there is no flame. Oh by petrol we actually mean lighter fluid! Once you have got used to lighting the thing it works very well. I've just ordered a couple of the Chinese ones linked above as they are loads cheaper!
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#16 Post by hitchphil »

this time of year walking boots & more socks or wellies & even more socks, waterproof trousers! hat you can wear ear defenders with , snacks / hot coffee flask, change of clothes! gloves any will do just keep hands warm. Hoodies are good, small binoculars to watch the targets a bit, golf brolly? Sightly controversial but many dont appreciate head to to camo & dressing like a walt, others seem to think its required, technically its good outdoor stuff however.

Look about - spot the safety signs & be range aware. dont stand about on the FPs or use them as a path, wear ear defs behind the FP esp son, dont shout to talk- others are concentrating so retire back to talk. Walk up & down & see what others do watch the practices & learn. If at different distances a rucksack of your crap is easy to carry but help carry the rest of the club kit too.

Do you wear glasses? if so avoid contacts take old glasses that can be bent to suit shooting.

Go into Fultons & say Hi we are new here as is the lad - can you tell us about a few of your guns on the rack ...one day we might be buying one.... & smile - Fultons have been very good to many a shooter.

Have a wander about take ear defs & enter Mellvile & have a look.

Enjoy it :-)
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Alberto

#17 Post by Alberto »

Thanks Hitchphil that's helpful. We're going tomorrow. Probably not prepared for everything but it should be fun.
knewmans

#18 Post by knewmans »

Cold, dry and a bit of wind. Should be good.

http://tinyurl.com/hvrnaey
Alberto

#19 Post by Alberto »

Looks good. :)
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

#20 Post by bobbob »

Bit late now but if you get really cold, the loos at Melville have heaters!!!! goodjob
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.