New to shooting targets

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

NigelM
Home club or Range: None

New to shooting targets

#1 Post by NigelM »

I have been stalking for 15 years or so but this year have decided that the challenge is to hit an 8" target at 1000 yds to see what else I can learn, especially about wind reading.

I have a chambering that will do it with some efficiency, a load that should work pretty well and the right scope for the job. The problem is where to go to try and put it all together.

Based just outside Chelmsford in Essex I'm not sure there is much within an hours drive of me which would be convenient. I could join the NRA and go to Bisley, but went there some years ago as a guest and found the whole thing a bit intimidating. I wondered if anyone knew of a friendly club with members that were happy to help and had a range that stretched to 1000 yds that wasn't't too far away from me.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: New to shooting targets

#2 Post by 20series »

NigelM wrote:I have been stalking for 15 years or so but this year have decided that the challenge is to hit an 8" target at 1000 yds to see what else I can learn, especially about wind reading.

I have a chambering that will do it with some efficiency, a load that should work pretty well and the right scope for the job. The problem is where to go to try and put it all together.

Based just outside Chelmsford in Essex I'm not sure there is much within an hours drive of me which would be convenient. I could join the NRA and go to Bisley, but went there some years ago as a guest and found the whole thing a bit intimidating. I wondered if anyone knew of a friendly club with members that were happy to help and had a range that stretched to 1000 yds that wasn't't too far away from me.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Clubs wise the Grove Small arms Club use Barton Road just off junction 12 M11 near Cambridge which I guess would be about an hour, they normally shoot 800, 1000 and 1200 yards once a month. As for calibres is look at anything 6.5/.260 .

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
NigelM
Home club or Range: None

#3 Post by NigelM »

Thanks Alan, I will try to find them on google.

The chambering is 280AI and it will be loaded very shortly with 162 ELD-X bullets which are on the shelf just waiting for some new brass to arrive. With any luck they will get out to 1000 yds with some efficiency as far as wind and trajectory are concerned. I just need to learn how to do my part.

It's a stalking rifle primarily and I would like to get to 1000 yds using nothing but my usual stalking kit - back pack as a front rest, roll as a rear rest. I don't want to set myself up with all the right kit for F-Class but get there is a slightly more "old fashioned" way.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Barton Road is around 45 miles from Chelmsford and we are a friendly bunch at the Grove, you will need something called an SCC to shoot on MoD ranges however that is not a show stopper, you contact the secretary here: http://grovesmallarms.com/

A 280AI would get the job done at 1000 yards and despite shooting a 6,5mmx47 to 1200 yards I will say you need to work very hard to shoot a 6,5mm on a windy day :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal