FAC timescales for Thames Valley?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

davidh195
Past Supporter

Re: FAC timescales for Thames Valley?

#41 Post by davidh195 »

Pinguino wrote:Latest edition of BSAC Magazine March/April 2017 has an up to date chart of days taken by main forces for FAC/SGC Grant, Renewal and Variation - it doesn't make for good reading if you are in Cumbria, Hampshire Kent, Lancs, Lincolnshire, Thames Valley Warwickshire or West Mercia - absolutely shameful ..!!
Its certainly not accurate a club member has had his FAC application in since before Christmas he's over the 60 days quoted for Northant's already & has not even been contacted yet.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Iain
Home club or Range: Norman Cross - RAFSAA

#42 Post by Iain »

I would also question the accuracy of this BASC performance chart.

Cambridgeshire reports 14 days for a variation - I submitted my FAC for a simple variation in mid-December. FEO contacted me on Jan 6th to say he would be processing it. I'm still waiting.

Judging by what's being reported here and elsewhere, if ever anything deserves the title 'LA LA Land', this report is it.

The snottogram gets sent today.

Iain
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#43 Post by IainWR »

Is BASC quoting average (mean, median or modal) times or maxima?
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#44 Post by Airbrush »

My fac runs out today, nothing in the post from TVP despite all the paper work done months ago.
Rockhopper

#45 Post by Rockhopper »

Watch out you don't up in illegal possession then.
Airbrush

#46 Post by Airbrush »

Rockhopper wrote:Watch out you don't up in illegal possession then.
Went through all this with my sgc last year. wallhead
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#47 Post by kennyc »

Airbrush wrote:
When through all this with my sgc last year. wallhead
just email them Andy pointing out that you should have been issued either a renewal or a Sec7 by now (although I seem to recall talk about the rules allowing them an 8 week overrun period? not sure if this has come in yet?)
the automatic reply email from them will at least prove you tried to contact them in the unlikely event that anyone asks.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#48 Post by Pete »

I asked about lead times for my renewal (in Hants), and got an email reply stating that they would automatically issue a temp. permit in the event that they couldn't complete in time, and that I wouldn't need to store my rifles......................

I've printed it off and framed it. ;)

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Airbrush

#49 Post by Airbrush »

kennyc wrote:
Airbrush wrote:
When through all this with my sgc last year. wallhead
just email them Andy pointing out that you should have been issued either a renewal or a Sec7 by now (although I seem to recall talk about the rules allowing them an 8 week overrun period? not sure if this has come in yet?)
the automatic reply email from them will at least prove you tried to contact them in the unlikely event that anyone asks.
I'll give them a call this afternoon mate, had so much conflicting advice from TVP & BASC last year. troutslapping
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#50 Post by shugie »

The Policing and Crime Bill received Royal assent at the end of January this year, and includes section 131 as follows:-

131Limited extension of firearm certificates etc

(1)After section 28A of the Firearms Act 1968 (certificates: supplementary) insert—
“28BCertificates: limited extension

(1)This section applies where—

(a)an application is made for the renewal of a certificate on or before the day which falls 8 weeks before the day at the end of which the certificate is due to expire, but

(b)the chief officer of police does not determine whether or not to grant the application before the certificate is due to expire.

(2)The certificate continues in force by virtue of this subsection until whichever of the following events occurs first—

(a)the chief officer determines whether or not to grant the application;

(b)the extension period ends.

(3)In subsection (2), “the extension period” means the period of 8 weeks beginning with the day after the day at the end of which the certificate was due to expire.

(4)If the event mentioned in subsection (2)(a) occurs first, and the chief officer grants the application, any period for which the certificate continued in force under subsection (2) is to be treated for the purposes of section 28A(1) as part of the period for which the renewed certificate is in force.

(5)This section does not apply in relation to the renewal of a certificate granted or last renewed in Northern Ireland.”

I have some doubts about general serving officers being aware of this, so you might, if the circumstances apply to you, want to print the above (from http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/201 ... 31/enacted) out to keep with an expired certificate. I think the firearms licensing people will know about it.

Of course, as an extension period, theoretically you should be able to buy ammunition in the eight weeks as well.
Careful now/that sort of thing