Under and over clay gun.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Mickp
Home club or Range: Manchester

Under and over clay gun.

#1 Post by Mickp »

Hello, I'm awaiting my SGC and am looking for advice on a sporting shotgun.
I went to the National shooting show and shouldered a few guns all left handed guns.
The Browning 525 sporter was not the best fit.
Don't really like the Beretta Silver pigeon.
Two guns fitted and felt really good.
The Silma m80 sporting.
The Cogswell and Harrison sporter.
Does anyone use either of these shotguns as I would like to get your opinions on first hand usage.
Regards Mick.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

Re: Under and over clay gun.

#2 Post by Kungfugerbil »

I looked at the M80 when I was looking for a modestly priced new gun a little while back. Felt nice but didn't come to the shoulder well for me and the finishing and wood seemed a little rough. The action is tried and tested and they're all CNCd now so there isn't much in it. I ended up getting a Bettinsoli which was just that bit nicer all round and fit me perfectly. Same money too.

The default advice is go for the base Beretta, Browning or Miroku but if you buy at a good price you can't go wrong. Is a used gun on your radar or new only?

If you fancied a day out somewhere picturesque, Gilsan Sports in Richmond (N.Yorks) carries all of the Silmas alongside the usual Beretta/Browning/Miroku and have loads of stock. Nice people too, and Richmond is a lovely place.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

Look at the Miroku models.
Same factory makes the Browning O/U guns, plus a few other Browning & Winchesters.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am also a big fan of Miroku and have owned a 6000 Sporter since 1994 and they are available a reasonable prices on the used market. Nots sure who makes the Cogswell and Harrison these days.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mickp

#5 Post by Mickp »

Kungfugerbil wrote:I looked at the M80 when I was looking for a modestly priced new gun a little while back. Felt nice but didn't come to the shoulder well for me and the finishing and wood seemed a little rough. The action is tried and tested and they're all CNCd now so there isn't much in it. I ended up getting a Bettinsoli which was just that bit nicer all round and fit me perfectly. Same money too.

The default advice is go for the base Beretta, Browning or Miroku but if you buy at a good price you can't go wrong. Is a used gun on your radar or new only?

If you fancied a day out somewhere picturesque, Gilsan Sports in Richmond (N.Yorks) carries all of the Silmas alongside the usual Beretta/Browning/Miroku and have loads of stock. Nice people too, and Richmond is a lovely place.
Yes go to Yorkshire now and again. Miroku don't seem to do many left handed guns.
I am open to second hand as well, being a left handed shooter makes it a little harder.
Mickp

#6 Post by Mickp »

Ovenpaa wrote:I am also a big fan of Miroku and have owned a 6000 Sporter since 1994 and they are available a reasonable prices on the used market. Nots sure who makes the Cogswell and Harrison these days.
The Cogswell and Harrison o/u are made in Italy. Of course they will still make you a hand built gun if you have around 50k spare.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hmm.. a true left hand makes things a bit more interesting, I would certainly say look at the used market.

Also, welcome to the forum :wave:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mickp

#8 Post by Mickp »

Ovenpaa wrote:Hmm.. a true left hand makes things a bit more interesting, I would certainly say look at the used market.

Also, welcome to the forum :wave:

Thanks.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Mickp wrote:
Kungfugerbil wrote:I am open to second hand as well, being a left handed shooter makes it a little harder.
Gilsan have plenty of left hookers including both Silmas. Browning always do particularly well in that respect as well.

The cast on modern Italian guns is so slight and the palm swells so modest that you may well get away with a right handed though, worth trying a few.
Mickp

#10 Post by Mickp »

Kungfugerbil wrote:
Mickp wrote:
Kungfugerbil wrote:I am open to second hand as well, being a left handed shooter makes it a little harder.
Gilsan have plenty of left hookers including both Silmas. Browning always do particularly well in that respect as well.

The cast on modern Italian guns is so slight and the palm swells so modest that you may well get away with a right handed though, worth trying a few.
The Browning was a poor fit for me. Like you say I could get away with a straight stock.