45/70 just put .45 down?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

Re: 45/70 just put .45 down?

#21 Post by Duey »

Surely if it was an issue then the FAC wouldn't have it down as acquire a calibre at all, it would always specify a chamber, I believe that when a lot of people want a rifle they already know what they want so ask for a 308 bolt action rifle, for example, and not just a 30 cal rifle
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#22 Post by WelshShooter »

Although I agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread regarding the FAC holder putting down calibre rather than chamber, what happens with the ammunition allowance? If, in this example, the OP had asked for a rifle of calibre .45", so that they could choose between buying a rifle in .45-70, .45-90, .45ACP etc., what would happen with the ammunition? If .45 is stated for ammunition allowance does that allow the FAC holder the potential to purchase all types of .45 calibre ammunition?
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#23 Post by Dark Skies »

WelshShooter wrote:Although I agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread regarding the FAC holder putting down calibre rather than chamber, what happens with the ammunition allowance? If, in this example, the OP had asked for a rifle of calibre .45", so that they could choose between buying a rifle in .45-70, .45-90, .45ACP etc., what would happen with the ammunition? If .45 is stated for ammunition allowance does that allow the FAC holder the potential to purchase all types of .45 calibre ammunition?
I'm in exactly this position at the moment - when I put in for my variation I specifically wanted to try BP pistol shooting so I put in for the calibres I wanted. Because I'm in a TVP area I also thought it prudent to plump for an extra slot with a vague hankering for an under lever rifle some time hence - although I was alive to some other options.

Both the slot for the rifle and the ammunition are simply listed as .45 This gives me some wriggle room on choice of rifle and chambering.
The way I see it once I actually have committed to a rifle then the calibre naturally falls in line for further purchases due to the requirement to have good reason for possession.

For example, if I buy a lever release in .45 acp when I go to purchase ammunition the dealer would sell me that round and not .45 long colt / colt (pick your flavour) because I would have no good reason for possessing it (unless, of course, I also had a slot for that too).
Last edited by Dark Skies on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#24 Post by Dark Skies »

Duey wrote:Surely if it was an issue then the FAC wouldn't have it down as acquire a calibre at all, it would always specify a chamber, I believe that when a lot of people want a rifle they already know what they want so ask for a 308 bolt action rifle, for example, and not just a 30 cal rifle
For the most part they do. But, given the extremely long time some forces are taking handling variations (four months in the TVP area) it's prudent to think ahead and consider calibres you might want to own some time hence on top of the rifle you desire at the time.
In which case applying for generic calibres makes a lot of sense as it allows you to make a considered choice without painting yourself into a corner.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Chuck

#25 Post by Chuck »

I thought 45 /70 was .45 cal with 70 grains of powder, so why specify the LOAD? It's not as if you have to specify the firearm...???

http://www.ammoland.com/2016/09/45-colt-vs-45-long-colt?

http://thegunrights.com/45-acp-vs-45-colt/

Just asking, interesting thread...
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

#26 Post by Pesty »

Update on this.

Licence returned listed is permission to own 1 .45/70

Soooo time to spend money.
David Nimrod
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

#27 Post by David Nimrod »

Pesty wrote:
Licence returned listed is permission to own 1 .45/70
I don't envy your shoulder... :cry:
Please Wake Up Before Our Humanity Is Lost Forever
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#28 Post by jmc67 »

Nice one. I have a Marlin 1895SBL and absolutely love it. .45-70 always gets a smile :)
Pesty
Home club or Range: The Balby Rifle and Revolver Club

#29 Post by Pesty »

I absorb recoil quite well.

Good reason not to start that diet
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#30 Post by HH1 »

For my current and previously owned Marlin 1895's I put down 45 / 70

My 83 year old Father has a Rossi 45/70 and uses lighter loads of 12 grains of Trailboss or Unique.... makes for a nice indoor "plinking" load.