Practical Shotgun...but WHAT Shotgun?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

cowboyfurlan

Re: Practical Shotgun...but WHAT Shotgun?

#21 Post by cowboyfurlan »

BamBam wrote:There is no distance purchasing in Italy?

No transfer from one shop to another?
Yes, there is. However I'm wary of buying any second-hand guns without seeing them for myself.

Cheers NB
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#22 Post by saddler »

Never had ANY issues buying decent makes of gun 2nd hand.
All my 870's & the like were bought used; the Express was very very used, but next to nothing to go wrong with them.

Why not see if the seller will allow a 72 hour inspection period?
Or, are there Italian laws to cover distance sales of goods (not laws specific to guns)?
iF you have to have the gun sent to a shop, buy a few slabs of cartridges & drop the owner a bottle of whiskey for his time....
cowboyfurlan

#23 Post by cowboyfurlan »

saddler wrote:Never had ANY issues buying decent makes of gun 2nd hand.
All my 870's & the like were bought used; the Express was very very used, but next to nothing to go wrong with them.

Why not see if the seller will allow a 72 hour inspection period?
Or, are there Italian laws to cover distance sales of goods (not laws specific to guns)?
iF you have to have the gun sent to a shop, buy a few slabs of cartridges & drop the owner a bottle of whiskey for his time....
How would this 72 hour period work, at least in the UK? One thing for sure, first I would enquire if the gun is still available (although the ad I have pinched the picture from has been rerun for the last 2-3 months), second I would request better, 180° photos of it.

I'll surely buy something from the receiving shop if I decide to have it shipped there, he's my "local". However I still prefer seeing it with my own eyes before parting with cash. Also gives me a good excuse to travel - although I'm Italian I have to admit I don't know the country well, it would give me a chance to get to know more of it. It won't be the first time I have done this... when I lived in Brazil I once endured a 16h (!) bus round trip to collect an Anschutz 9003 air rifle...

Cheers NB
Chuck

#24 Post by Chuck »

I've seen more of these jam than any other, apart from Hatsans.
troutslapping What are you doing with them, mine have worked like a train for years.

Anyway, how many of those guns listed have you actually TRIED, no point buying something that doesn't fit. I perved over Benelli's for ages but they just are not right for me..Same with mossberg's, way too long a reach on the pump actions to rack them properly..

BTW: CZ HC-P pump action, rifle accurate..and it fits me like a glove, as do hatsans..

You pay's yer money etc etc
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#25 Post by Blackstuff »

If you want a semi but can't afford a tricked out M2, get a 1301.

If I was getting a pump these days I'd get a tricked out 870. I've had a Supernova before but didn't really get on with it, but for entirely personal reasons
DVC
BamBam

#26 Post by BamBam »

Chuck wrote:
I've seen more of these jam than any other, apart from Hatsans.
troutslapping What are you doing with them, mine have worked like a train for years.
Mine worked fine until dirty, seen one fail in the US during a 3 gun match, the shooter got a re-shoot because a deer ran in front of the 300 yard rifle target and he couldn't take the shot, as it wasn't deer season. So he ran back to his car and spray oiled the 930 and then it ran a bit better during his re-shoot, still cycled slower when dirty.
I had a rented Benelli M2 3-gun 22" barrel so only 8+1, fantastic, came back to the UK and no 24" M2 models left to buy, so bought a Stoeger M3000.
cowboyfurlan

#27 Post by cowboyfurlan »

Blackstuff wrote:If you want a semi but can't afford a tricked out M2, get a 1301.

If I was getting a pump these days I'd get a tricked out 870. I've had a Supernova before but didn't really get on with it, but for entirely personal reasons
In fact I could get either. The issue is one of cost efficiency (read value for money). IMHO the 1301, being fitted with most needed mods rights out of the box* is a better deal than the M2. Especially so giving the fact that my local dealer is prepared to knock 200 - 300€ off list price for the 1301 while requesting near list for any Benelli. However the situation is fluid - I've been saving some ads from a used gun ad site which also has entries from guns shops selling new stuff at discounted prices, I have a couple of adds for new Nova/Supernovas and M2s at very good prices indeed (as much as half list).

* please spare me the nitpick :D I got in another forum when someone said the 1301 was not ready to use because the loading port wasn't opened up from the factory...d'oh... :D :D :D

Cheers NB