Take a New Person Shooting

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Christel
Site Admin

Take a New Person Shooting

#1 Post by Christel »

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/07/18/take ... -shooting/

Most of us can't take a new person shooting in our backyard however the thought behind it is rather good.
Take a new person shooting on your local range if you can?
Dangermouse

Re: Take a New Person Shooting

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

As long as it is not a NRA / Military range!

I have several people at work who would quite readily come down and have an afternoon with me but unfortunately the rules being what they are I am unable to and not prepared to.

The NRA do run very successful open days, but with these having to be booked in advance it takes a little more effort on behalf of the wood be shooter and it is unlikely that they will get to soot with you or your firearms, unless of course you have volunteered to help out for the session,

If you wanted to create a system which made it difficult to come into the sport you could hardly devise a better scheme.
(Home office rules, not the NRA open days)

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

Thinking about it, it does not help that our local club at the Barton long range days does not have any guest days!

:o
Dangermouse

#4 Post by Dangermouse »

They do take a little effort to set up but hopefully the club will be rewarded with some new blood joining. With the average age of shooters probably being over retirement age, attracting younger shooters should be on most clubs agendas.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Blackstuff »

I find it really frustrating with rifles as my girlfriend, close family and numerous friends would all like to 'try before they buy' but barely anywhere has open days near me. I used to be a member of a club that started to have them just before i left but other than that none of my clubs has had a single one. :( Fingers crossed the new committee members at one of my clubs will be able to push for one (or hopefully several) soon :good:
DVC
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

I find it really frustrating with rifles as my girlfriend
I would not go telling anyone that! :lol:

DM
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap:
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

Dangermouse wrote:
I find it really frustrating with rifles as my girlfriend
I would not go telling anyone that! :lol:

DM
I heard that even a .308 is a loose fit for you!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#9 Post by kennyc »

the BBS NRPCdoes have guest days, when it is possible for people to came along and try shooting out, there are caveats... for example you must be personally known by a member for at least 2 years before the visit, and guest are only allowed when there are enough members present to allow one to one instruction, but at least its a start! and its how I restarted in centrefire shooting.
DaveT

#10 Post by DaveT »

BEWARE - Did exactly that and took my eldest son out to the range and he had a great time!!!... as did I...... since then it has cost me a custom rifle from Baldydave for him (yet another Brilliant 260 Rem tack-driver from Dave) , Club membership fees, lots of bullets , powder and time to teach him reloading...... WORTH EVERY PENNY to see him shooting the centre out of targets (now better than me dammit!!!! ) God help me if my youngest son wants to do the same ...... kids just get MORE expensive !

DaveT