First rifle - some advice

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

First rifle - some advice

#1 Post by judders »

Hello all,

My FAC should be here in a couple of weeks (according to Hampshire Constabulary), so I'm starting to think about my first rifle. I've decided to go for a .308 first and it will most likely be a Remy 700 with some mods to make it useable when I shoot practical with LPSC. Most guys there shoot the Armalon PC and they're great, but I just don't have the cash for one outright, so I'm going to start small(er) initially and probably get Armalon to work on improving it over time.

I was pretty much set on a Remy 700 SPS Varmint in an AICS stock but, then I saw the MDT TAC 21 chassis and here's were I need help.

I know the AICS is a tried and tested stock, but are there any technical reasons why the TAC 21 wouldn't serve me just as well? I know it's shallow, but I REALLY like the look of the TAC 21.

Details on the TAC 21 can be found here: http://www.mdttac.com/products.html

Cheers,

Jud
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: First rifle - some advice

#2 Post by 20series »

My advice with the older AICS stock is to try one first!!

The pistol grip layout causes some people issue (me included) with problems getting a good trigger finger position as they are quite small being designed for someone wearing gloves.

If you go for a Remington 700, get the 26 inch barrelled version as this will help with velocities for longer distances.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#3 Post by Mike357 »

Looking at the MDT, I have a few observations.

Bolt removal would be a pain in the butt as the bolt cannot be drawn out fully due to the design of the stock and the fake buffer tube assembly. It looks heavy! Price in Canadian $ looks good but is it available in the UK and has anybody commented on the quality? Valkyrie Rifles recently got one of the new AICS AX series stocks and apparently the quality was awful!

What about a Manners or HS Precision stock if the AICS isn't comforatble?
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would also consider a used TRG21 or TRG22 - they are cracking rifles, the ergonomics are good and they shoot very nicely.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#5 Post by Robin128 »

Wasn't the TRG the one with trigger issues?

H S Precision stock has stood the test of time with US snipers...M24 A2 in particular.

Alright people...wait for it... :D :lol: 8-)

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... lit=m24+a2

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=10
Dangermouse

#6 Post by Dangermouse »

I concur with Mike357 and would add that in our climate you would almost have to take the whole thing apart each time you took it out or you will end up with rust on the inside. having had a similar set up on a Ruger I had, I can confirm that is a big pain. This design also brings n problems with the scope, being so high from the receiver is not a good thing as you shoot over varying distances but more importantly, each time you take the thing apart to clean it, you will have to re zero as the scope is not actually attached.

Re the AICS I agree with 20series, lay down with one and have a feel. I might be wrong but I suspect that thee is a difference between the fixed and folding stock pistol grips, as I have found one to short and the other OK.
I am disappointed to hear that Baldie aka Valkyrie rifles, has found quality issues with the knew AX AICS stocks. I know when Mik from Dolphin guns got his first batch through he thought they were better than the AICS.

Not knowing how new you are to shooting, you may or may not know, but be careful of setting your heart on anything from over seas especially the USA. It is very difficult to get stuff over and where you read $ you need to replace the $ to £ and add a coupe of hundred!

Keep an eye out on ebay for Remington stocks, I got a HS Precision for a good price and others appear from time to time.
I would say the most important thing that you need to do before buying is to try, not easy in the UK but these things are expensive to get the wrong ones.

Apart from the 2 dealers mentioned above who make very good custom guns, also have a look at South Yorkshire Shooting / Rimfire Magic, who do some nice semi custom Rem 700's for a fair price.

Good luck,

DM

http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.valkyrierifles.net/
http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/
Last edited by Dangermouse on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Christel
Site Admin

#7 Post by Christel »

Good news about your FAC!

Crossing my fingers :good:
judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

#8 Post by judders »

Thanks all, just the kind of good advice I knew you'd have. :good: As I suspected might happen, you've got me thinking about a few different things now.

The TAC 21 is available in the UK via Low Mill Ranges for £550 + VAT, but that doesn't include the stock or pistol grip, so you're probably in the same range as an AICS 2.0 stock when you're all done. However, I don’t fancy hours of extra cleaning, just for the sake of cosmetics, so will probably park the TAC 21 idea.

My interest in the AICS was partly because it would give me the detachable mag and partly because of the way it looks(there's a pattern forming here). But given the comments here, I’ll definitely try one before making a decision. There are a couple of guys with AICS at one of my clubs, so I’ll ask nicely.

I haven't come across the HS Precision or Manners stocks yet, so I'll have a look at those too.

I really like the SAKO TRGs, but cost is a problem there, I'm looking to spend around £1500 and I think they're quite a bit more.

Another quick question - if I decided to just buy a Remy 700 SPS Varmint and live with the standard stock for a while, will I notice the inaccuracy or would only a seasoned shooter notice?
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#9 Post by Mike357 »

If you are new to shooting, I would say that standard rifle will out shoot you until you have put many hundreds of rounds down range. There is a lot to learn re techniques and reloading before trying to ring more accuracy out of the rifle thus allowing you research what you really want/need.

Manners stocks are available from Valkyrie Rifles/ Rimfire Magic. HS Precision - check the US web site but they are available from the above.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
judders

#10 Post by judders »

Thanks Mike :good: