Ammo cost & supply in the UK ?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Ammo cost & supply in the UK ?

#31 Post by Blackstuff »

froggy wrote:Re-

I always thought France had that crazy no 'military' calibres for civilians rule?

This is not completly correct.

in France military chambered rifles could be owned but the licensing was more involved.
In a nut-shell in France, as the law currently stands, a licenced shooter can own, subject to the equivalent of a FAC, renew-able every 3 years, 12 restricted fire-arms (section 1 and 4) with the following break-down of 5 central percusion + 7 rimfire and illimited non-restricted firearm (section 5 and 7) with no need to re-new.

Section 1 : military caliber fire-arms
Section 4 : sporting caliber fire-arms,

Section 5 : hunting caliber fire-arms, (manual action or semi-auto but with fixed mag)
Section 7 : 22lr manual repetition rifle,

As far as ammo is concerned,
Section 1 1,000/year ticket that can be re-applied as many times as you want and as many time admin processing will take.
Section 4, 5 & 7 no quantity limitation .

So we end up with funny situation where
a Mauser K98 in original 7.92x57 (8x57) caliber is Section 1, so I need a FAC, it goes against my 7 max quota and I am limited to 1,000 rounds
but
if I own exactly the same rifle rechambered in 8x64s or in 8x60s it becomes a section 5 and I then only need to show my sport shooter licence, tell the Gendarmerie and I can own as many as I want, same goes to the ammo.

Same story for a Lee-Enfield in original 303 which is section 1 and the rechamber 303S caliber which is section 5...

In France you can find some G43 with welded mag restricted to 3 rounds and rechamber in a "hunting caliber" so it can become a section 5 owned by a hunting-licence holder with no time restriction.
etc ... etc ...

you can find more info in english on http://www.eurotir22.com/info

Thanks for the info :good: Hmm, France might just have to go back on the emmigration possibility list . . . :-P
DVC
Doz
Past Supporter

#32 Post by Doz »

I was thinking the same...
Tower75

#33 Post by Tower75 »

Is there any "logical" :? reason why you're only allowed 1000 rounds of Section 1 per year? Also, is that per rifle, or 1000 for the whole Section 1 certificate?

Regards
T
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#34 Post by froggy »

re-
I dont know for sure but I would imagine it was designed to prevent the stockpiling of ammo ?
It is 1,000 per weapons , ie : if you own 2 9x19 Para weapons you can buy 2K rounds at a time. Having said that when you run dry you just have to apply for permission to buy an other batch. You are only limited really by how fast the administrative procedure takes.

Emmigration for gun licence ? I'd rather go to Switerzerland ;)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Tower75

#35 Post by Tower75 »

Neat. Thanks for the info. Are you prohibited on handguns like we are, or can you own any handgun, as long as it falls into one of the certificate sections?
Emmigration for gun licence ? I'd rather go to Switerzerland
Or Luxembourg :good: You can pick up an MG42 for about 900 Euros
Wait, so I can own a .55 calibre Boys anti-tank rifle, but not a .22 pistol?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#36 Post by Blackstuff »

froggy wrote:
Emmigration for gun licence ? I'd rather go to Switerzerland ;)
Me too but there's no way i could afford to live there! :(
DVC