Optics - FFP vs SFP and S&B

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Robin128

Re: Optics - FFP vs SFP and S&B

#21 Post by Robin128 »

Why you off to?

:)
judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

#22 Post by judders »

Shame about the IOR prices going up. I'll definitely have a look at Sightron and Nikon though. Any other suggestions for a half-decent scope up to 1k? Looking for something along the lines of 5-25x56, or thereabouts.

Ovenpaa, unless it was coming from someone I know, I'd be nervous about spending 1500 quid on used kit. Does the warranty transfer to subsequent owners?

Alan, thanks for the offer. I would have loved to come to Bisley at the beginning of November, but won't be able to make it unfortunately.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

S&B are very good with repairs however I am not sure warranty is transferable. I paid around GBP1050 for my S&B a few years ago and it has been faultless, it seemed pricey at the time but the alternative was to pay over 1600 for a new one and have to wait three - six months for delivery.

I rate it very highly, it is only 16X magnification however that is enough to get to me to 1000 yards with a 7,62x51 and the single turn elevation turret is a wonder to use.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#24 Post by Mike357 »

Robin128 wrote:Why you off to?

:)
Nowhere I'm afraid. I have 5 weeks to take off before the end of the year. Aviemore for a week in Dec.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Christel
Site Admin

#25 Post by Christel »

The Kahles we have is not bad. I am pretty sure it was under a grand.

Ovenpaa, do you remember?
Christel
Site Admin

#26 Post by Christel »

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/10 ... fle-scope/

Judders, first one I found with the specs you mention.
judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

#27 Post by judders »

christel wrote:http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/543/10 ... fle-scope/

Judders, first one I found with the specs you mention.
Thanks Christel :good:

However, I think I'm having a change of heart now though. I thinking I might go 'cheap' initially, then get some cash together for a serious scope afterwards.

A friend of mine has just bought one of these and has fairly good things to say about it(cost considered): http://www.scopesdirect.co.uk/proddetai ... ster_62456

Then in a few months time, I could keep this scope as a back-up and switch to something better.

Decisions decisions.... :?
Gun Pimp

#28 Post by Gun Pimp »

If you're going to buy Chinese then why spend over £200?

Get one from Fox Firearms - preferably the 8-32 for £105. Great scope FOR THE MONEY.

Read our report in Nov's Target Shooter - on line now! www.targetshooteronline.com

Vince
Dangermouse

#29 Post by Dangermouse »

I have just completed a quick search of the Internet , including Nikko Sterlings own site, and can not see how much elevation these scopes are capable of.
Should you be wishing to take part in long range shooting this may become a factor in how far out your scope will take you.
1/8 min clicks can be a handful for the novice shooter, but they are by no means a reason not to buy a scope.

Good luck in your choice,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Robin128

#30 Post by Robin128 »

You are going from £1,000 scope to a Nikko Stirling...OMG.

:cool2:

Somewhere in between...I wonder a Nikon maybe??? I promise you, you will not part ex it.

:D