Optics - FFP vs SFP and S&B

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Optics - FFP vs SFP and S&B

#31 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would also say take a good look at the 'scopes Brian Fox is selling as well, at just over 100 quid they are an absolute bargain, well worth considering.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#32 Post by Mike357 »

All being well I will have a Fox scope before the end of Nov so will give me opinions when I have it. The article in Nov edition of TS will be an interesting read when the "read now" link starts working. Usually takes a day to appear on the page :bad:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

#33 Post by judders »

I read the TS article on the train back from work tonight. Perfect timing for me Vince, cheers. :good:

Based on the review and comments here, I reckon I'm on 'Plan v3' now. :oops:

You're right, if I'm going cheap, no point spending more than I need to.

All things considered, I'd really like a S&B PMII, but I just can't afford one at the same time as the rifle. I could wait, but the chances of me leaving my first ever rifle locked away without a scope for a month or two are slim to none.

So, a Fox scope for £100 to get me going, then save up the pennies (and a few pounds too) for the S&B.

Robin, I did look at the Nikons and they get good reviews, but then I decided to go cheap and save for the S&B.
Robin128

#34 Post by Robin128 »

Jud,

You can go too cheap. Don't throw money down the drain on scopes with zero resale value and will give you grief in their use.

:D :good:
Christel
Site Admin

#35 Post by Christel »

If all else fails, I have not seen the scope Brian Fox is selling, then a scope of lesser optics can always be mounted on a fun .22?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#36 Post by Ovenpaa »

Am I right in saying Vince B is shooting the GB F/TR league with one of the Fox 'scopes?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

#37 Post by judders »

Well, I made a decision and ordered a 8-32x50 scope from Fox Firearms earlier today.

At £115 I figured it was worth a go. Especially given the review by Vince in the November edition of TargetShooter magazine.

I do plan to acquire more firearms over time, so as Christel said, it'll probably end up on something other than my main rifle eventually.

Thanks for the help all. :good:

Now, got to start saving for that S&B PMII....
Dougan

#38 Post by Dougan »

I've only recently started looking into scopes myself - And I know this is childish, but I had to chuckle when I realised what S&B stands for - Schmidt und Bender...sounds like a gay German couple...I wonder if they have a mate called Fitz Guttundtight :lol:

Sorry! :run:
judders

#39 Post by judders »

And just to clarify, I will be saving for another rifle scope, not a German gay couple. ;)
Robin128

#40 Post by Robin128 »

"Fitz Guttundtight"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: