FAC Questions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Tomo

Re: FAC Questions

#31 Post by Tomo »

Can someone please advise me on some info I was given the other day at the club?

Whilst talking to a committee member about applying for a FAC I was advised not to be too specific with my application, i.e instead of asking for a .22LR semi auto, .223 and .308 bolt action he advised me to just list .22LR, 5.56/.223 and 7.62/.308? He said for example that if I specified a .22LR semi auto then decided later on that I also wanted a bolt action .22 I would have to ask for a variation. Also - are you allowed to ask, for example 5.56/.223 as one choice? aren't they very similar but different calibers?

Its not necessarily that I don't believe him, its just that he's held a FAC for many years, and I wonder if things have tightened up since he first applied?

I'd be applying with Bedfordshire/Herts
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#32 Post by Ovenpaa »

Tomo, you are in the same area as I am and applying for 5,56x45/.223 and 7,62x51/.308 for both rifle and ammunition is absolutely fine with our FEO, you could also apply for a .22LR and explain you are not sure about S/A or bolt action and again they should be OK, they may even suggest adding one of each.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Tomo

#33 Post by Tomo »

nice one - thanks for the reply! sign92

More questions - I know I have to specify a location for using a firearm, so .22LR would be at my rifle club in Bedford, and I suppose the .223 / .308 would be registered to be used at Bisley. What happens though if I wanted to start shooting at another location like Barton Road, would I need to ask for a variation? What if I booked up for a firearms course in a location I wouldn't normally go to - would I be allowed to take my own firearm?

sorry for all these newb questions!
Ovenpaa

#34 Post by Ovenpaa »

To shoot at BR you would need to be a member of a club that used the range, and that is all if you have a primary club listed for target shooting. Also if you booked a course at a specific location and it is a recognised and HO approved range then you should be OK, the people running the course would be able to advise you on this. The important thing is to have your SCC for MoD ranges or you will need to shoot under 1:1 supervision.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#35 Post by Christel »

Tomo, you do not need to specify a rifle to a range. You need to belong to a club and that is all.

Keep the questions coming... tongueout
Tomo

#36 Post by Tomo »

ok, got another sign92

im assuming that one slot on my fac = 1gun, i.e. if i put down .22LR im allowed to own one .22 rifle.
what happens if i want a 5.56mm armalite straightpull for csr but i also wanted a different, longer barreled upper receiver for it as well? is that still one slot or is it classed as two?
Ovenpaa

#37 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hmm, you need to ask, I would think you will need to apply for a variation for a 5,56x45/.223 bolt action rifle plus 5,56x45/.223 barrel conversion unit or possibly barrel or they may call it an upper, my view is the first option. I certainly know that if you want to shoot with a 5,56x45/.223/.22 you need to apply for a variation for a 5,56x45/.223 bolt action rifle plus a .22 Conversion Unit.
/d

Shed Journal
Tomo

#38 Post by Tomo »

another question!....... If I were to join the NRA after I'm (hopefully!) issued with a FAC then is it correct that I can book range time at Bisley as an individual instead of waiting for Bedford clubs usual monthly shooting date to come around?

Won't I have to send my FAC back to be amended to show another club/location?
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#39 Post by 20series »

Tomo wrote:another question!....... If I were to join the NRA after I'm (hopefully!) issued with a FAC then is it correct that I can book range time at Bisley as an individual instead of waiting for Bedford clubs usual monthly shooting date to come around?

Won't I have to send my FAC back to be amended to show another club/location?
As a member of the NRA you can book ranges, your FAC will probably be worded along line of

Rifles x.y.z only to be shot whilst a member at Bedford RC and any other ranges appropriate to the calibres whilst proper insurance provision in place
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Dangermouse

#40 Post by Dangermouse »

Tomo,

As an NRA Member you also become a member of the NRA Shooting club which on a normal Saturday will have a number of distances booked. As long as you let the organiser of the day know beforehand that you intend to attend it can be a cheaper way of shooting distances without booking a target to your self and having to worry about who is going to mark your target etc. The distances to be shot are on the front "home" page of the NRA web page in the upcoming events section. You will also be able to book the range office targets also available at weekends.

DM

PS keep an eye out on here for the "fun gunners" who book targets mid week and are looking to share the fun / cost.
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.