Brownells UK

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Brownells UK

#1 Post by bnz41 »

Anyone ordered from Brownells UK recently what do you think of there postage costs.

Need to get a chamber brush and a bolt hold open device ( u shaped bit of plastic) for a new rifle total cost £18.40 inc vat + postage is with parcel force for such small items costing £8.85 they are having a laugh no sale here.
AlieN
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: Brownells UK

#2 Post by AlieN »

I've just received an order for some bullets weighting around 5.5KG for much less than that (also ParcelForce). I find it difficult to believe that Brownells aren't making a significant profit on those P&P costs. That of course is their prerogative, as is yours to shop elsewhere.

AlieN
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

I can't comment on Brownells...however I know that we pay more than that to ship with parcelforce.

Very often some of the PP cost is swallowed by a company.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#4 Post by phaedra1106 »

You have to bear in mind that it's not actually Brownells you're dealing with, same as when it was MidwayUK, it's the same person (Peter Starley) importing what you order from the USA and re-selling.

The greater postage costs (and sometimes longer delivery times) are due to the way that business model works.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#5 Post by saddler »

phaedra1106 wrote:You have to bear in mind that it's not actually Brownells you're dealing with, same as when it was MidwayUK, it's the same person (Peter Starley) importing what you order from the USA and re-selling.

The greater postage costs (and sometimes longer delivery times) are due to the way that business model works.
THIS

As soon as I work out a way around it, I'll continue to use my trade account with the USA based company as I refuse to deal with MidwayUK type business model-price mark-ups (profit = yes, taking the p*** = NO)
greenshoots

#6 Post by greenshoots »

do my shopping once a year when i go to canada

greenshoots
Green by Design
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#7 Post by saddler »

greenshoots wrote:do my shopping once a year when i go to canada
How do you stop your milk & bread from going off?
greenshoots

#8 Post by greenshoots »

at -40 it dont :wales:

greenshoots roll on friday
Green by Design
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

#9 Post by nickb834 »

I've just received an order from Brownells UK - I'd placed two with them when they were MidwayUK, as Brownells they've had a few problems with my latest order:
  • Website issues - most items unavailable to order as "feed from US had failed" their words not mine
    Order status not updating at all - just said "viewed" no tracking number, no shipping detials nothing
    Took 3 weeks from Order to my front door
I complained and was fobbed off for the first two, for the third item I was given the excuse of "teething troubles with new relationship / shipping process".

Apparently the way it's done is Brownells consolidate all the UK orders into one shipment once a week and then send it out, then in the UK Parcelforce delivers it out.

To be fair on the items I purchased they were cheaper than I could get locally, and some were harder to find parts. Don't get me wrong - where possible I'll source locally, but, I'm also getting s*** service from UK RFD's for eg; I'm, still waiting for AR15 firing pin and extractor for 22LR - nearly 4 weeks now - as a certain someone fecked off to the Shot Show and didn't sort it before he went.

UK RFD's can have my support when they earn it - there are a couple on here who deserve that support, but there's an awful lot more that don't.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#10 Post by safetyfirst »

I had the same firing pin trouble (I'm guessing a Cmmg pin broke) and I went to a show and collared him in front of all the shiny new customers. Delivery was swift and with a smile ;) the new one I was supplied with seems much better, first broke within 5,000 rounds, new one has had another 15,000 through it.