RFD req'd - Port Talbot / Neath area

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

RFD req'd - Port Talbot / Neath area

#1 Post by saddler »

Looking for an RFD in the above area.

Need to have a shotgun sent from that area up to North-East area RFD

So far been told both RFD's that the seller has tried want £25 for the paperwork/admin & £20 or thereabouts on top for the courier. At £45+ it'd be almost cheaper driving there!

Plan B = anyone travelling that route (or South Wales to Scotland) & has a SGC?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: RFD req'd - Port Talbot / Neath area

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

TBH that's a half decent price for the transfer. All but one RFD I frequent charge more than that.
DVC
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

Last few I used (as a buyer) were all £20

Tend to send through Royal Snail when selling guns.
Normally £18 or so to send by 1st class recorded.
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Last few I've done were 25 quid each end. Between the costs and the new* regs on signing carts it's killed the low end of the market unless you live near the bargains...which I don't.

I drove on Saturday for a 4.5 hour round trip rather than use RFD transfer.

* I know they're not new, just enforcing existing rules, but more people seem to be following them now.
greenshoots

#5 Post by greenshoots »

south and west country sports, pyle is who i use was £25 all in or keens kenfig hill, pyle

greenshoots
Green by Design
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#6 Post by WelshShooter »

saddler wrote:Looking for an RFD in the above area.

Need to have a shotgun sent from that area up to North-East area RFD

So far been told both RFD's that the seller has tried want £25 for the paperwork/admin & £20 or thereabouts on top for the courier. At £45+ it'd be almost cheaper driving there!

Plan B = anyone travelling that route (or South Wales to Scotland) & has a SGC?
1. Neath Gun Shop
2. South West County Sports, Pyle
3. Keens Tackle and Guns, Aberkenfig (although they recently had a fire...)
4. Sportsman Gun Centre, Newport

Those are the only gunshops off the top of my head. I've used Keens Tackle and guns a few times and they charged £25 for receiving a firearm, they have been great and no trouble at all. There are most likely other RFD's in the Swansea/Cardiff region but I personally do not know of them.
Joe Pugh
Home club or Range: Merthyr Clay shooting, Work at South Wales 2000 Clay ground

#7 Post by Joe Pugh »

Gun shop now in Pontypridd

Merlin field and country

:)
Miroku MK38 12G
Browning Maxus 12G
Ruger 10/22 .22
Marlin 1894 .44
Savage model 24 .22/.410
Lee Enfield SMLE 1918 .303
Mauser Gew 98 1916 7.92x57
Springfield 1903 1928 30-06
Mosin Nagant 91/30 1929 7.62x54R
Lost count now
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am not aware of any couriers shipping firearms for £20 these days, Royal Mail certainly will not ship a shotgun sized/weight package for £20, TNT has stopped and ParcelForce is £25 uninsured as a minimum although there is a third party pallet service available for £42.00.

Someone asked me recently why we charged for the insurance, well we have our own insurance for goods in transit as I am sure other RFDs do, however it carries a £200 excess and I doubt many RFDs would be happy about shipping an item they did not supply with a potential loss of £200.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
walesdave

#9 Post by walesdave »

A1 Guns Wales: Pontarddulais, Swansea Tel: 01792 885892. Not sure how much they'd charge for a transfer, but they're a very friendly and helpful bunch; worth giving them a call.

Sportsman Newport have done transfers both ways for me in the past. About £28 if I remember right; very helpful and stayred late once when the sending RFD cocked up his paperwork - they waited well after closing time for the right paperwork to be emailed so they could release the gun to me.

Merlin field and country: Pontypridd Tel: 01443 405662. Probably a bit far for you, but again very friendly bunch.

Keens might be a bit busy at the moment going through the ruins of the tackle shop they have next door to the RFD - it burnt down last week!