Show us your rimfire's

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Iain
Home club or Range: Norman Cross - RAFSAA

Re: Show us your rimfire's

#531 Post by Iain »

The ammo shown above looks to be in a pretty ropy state so I'm looking at ways of disposing of it safely that doesn't involve ruining a barrel. Also, there's over 1000 rounds of the stuff so it could take a bit of time. I know there are collectors out there that would be interested in some of the boxes though.

Iain
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#532 Post by Mattnall »

Iain,
Is the Winchester 22Auto a slightly necked case?
I have some here in a very similar box that is not 22LR.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Iain

#533 Post by Iain »

Hi Mattnall. Sorry for the delay. This any good?

Iain
Iain

#534 Post by Iain »

oops....got the wrong one **** . This is what I should have been looking at

Iain
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#535 Post by Mattnall »

Yeah, that last one is the same as the ones I have here, or certainly look the same. There are a few shooters around with rifles chambered in 22Win and I don't know where they get their ammo.
The person I got them from found them on a beam in a greenhouse on his nursery, probably left from a pest session operation many years ago, and he realised when he tried to ram one in his little rifle and it went off OOB when he gave it a bit of muscle.

I've got just under a 100 of these looking for a good home (after I've kept the obligatory few for my collection).
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Iain

#536 Post by Iain »

Taken from an American Rimfire site where they have some genuine experts rather than keyboard ones teanews :

"Only used in the Winchester Model 1903, an earlier version of the 63 semiauto. Winchester made this cartridge to force users to not put regular 22 long rifle in it, cause at the time there were plenty of powder fouling issues that would make the rifle inoperative in no time flat. The cleaner burning powders developed not long afterwards cleared the way for acceptance of the long rifle and the demise of both the model 1903 and the 22 automatic ammo it fired. Remington also made its version for this rifle, the .22 Special I believe it was called".

From what I can gather (although I stand to be corrected), it's not technically a WIN round. The OOB probably came about because this round was made for a specific rifle make and type.

Iain
Sim G
Past Supporter

#537 Post by Sim G »

Yep the .22 Win Auto has caused a few issues for people. A guy in our club has inherited one, got to go on FAC despite the near impossibility of finding ammo...

Iain, as an aside, it's somewhat ironic to quote a "genuine expert" whose quote finishes with, "I believe it was called"...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#538 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Sim G wrote:...it's somewhat ironic to quote a "genuine expert" whose quote finishes with, "I believe it was called"...
signfunnypost

Truth. Don't forget, they're not keyboard experts. I would imagine they enter data into the forum using the power of their mind. Psychography I believe it was called.
Iain

#539 Post by Iain »

I don’t see that I quoted anyone; I merely reposted an extract from someone with knowledge of the subject matter for clarification and information.

Regarding “I believe it was called”, it’s plainly evident that the original author is admitting a degree of uncertainty about one particular point. Nothing more, nothing less.

Why the minor semantics are so much of an issue to you that it requires mentioning is puzzling but, whatever floats your boat. teanews

And yet another topic veers off at an extreme tangent. 8-)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#540 Post by Sim G »

Reposting, is quoting. You introduced it with the term "genuine expert". The expert appears not to be.

You take offence. You can't decern banter. There, there snowflake...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!