GSG Stg44

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

Re: GSG Stg44

#31 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Have just seen on Facecrack that Suffolks allocations of Stg's have now arrived. Woo Hoo.
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
Zilberbak
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club, HBRA, Pipers & DRPC

#32 Post by Zilberbak »

I think Neal is fed up with me nagging him about where my Stg44 has been and to be fair to him I think GSG have been messing everyone about with failing to meet delivery dates. All I would say is that it seems across a common trait across the dealers that feedback can be poor in keeping you up to date with what is going on. Especially when it is a new addition to the gun cabinet, bearing in mind I had ordered it at the Shooting Show in Feb on the basis of the following week delivery.
The Tunnel appears to be the main dealer bringing them in and then re-distributing to other UK dealers.
Please let me know when you have received yours as I am still waiting for confirmation that mine has been dispatched to my local RFD to collect from.
If you need a rail to mount optics I have picked up from an AR Forum that a STANAG claw mount fits on. I have ordered a UTG Gen 2 one two weeks ago off of EBay and received this morning from the States for £65 including UK Customs. The only issue may be eye relief as it sits farther back than desired but should be OK for a red dot or even a MTC Connect (bearing in mind the small recoil).
Zilberbak

Vested interest in .22LR .357 9mm .223 .308 7.62x39 & 7.62x54R
Zilberbak

#33 Post by Zilberbak »

Just seen the reply on Facebook about not being sent out until Monday next week. If this is the case then very disappointed as I know that they were received Wednesday, why so long to turn round?

Seems petty to whinge but that adds another week to an already protracted delay.

You are never too old to live and learn, this as not been the best purchase experience.
Zilberbak

PaulR

#34 Post by PaulR »

Zilberbak wrote:If you need a rail to mount optics I have picked up from an AR Forum that a STANAG claw mount fits on. I have ordered a UTG Gen 2 one two weeks ago off of EBay and received this morning from the States for £65 including UK Customs. The only issue may be eye relief as it sits farther back than desired but should be OK for a red dot or even a MTC Connect (bearing in mind the small recoil).
Hmmmmm,

I don't seem to remember reading about any red dot sight requirement on the 'new rifles' (MP 43s) that the German Generals on the Russian Front requested when asked by Hitler what they needed. ;) ;) ;)

To each their own I know, but I don't get why you would want to put modern optics on something that is meant to be a facsimile of a classic and historic WW2 design! emrolleyes emrolleyes

A copy of this sight would be more appropriate:
Attachments
MP44 Optics.jpg
PaulR

"Try to fly in the middle of the air. The edges can be recognized by water, ground, rocks, and interstellar space. It is much easier to not hit anything in the middle of the air than it is anywhere near the edges."
Zilberbak

#35 Post by Zilberbak »

As soon as I can get one it will replace whatever l end up putting on (likely a fixed 4 x mil-dot). ln Austria later this year might hunt the militaria antique shops.

Good news is that l collected the GSG today and it does really look the part. Spent a good hour talking to Neal and he has some interesting things in the pipeline.

The UTG mount fits like a glove after l worked out how to put on, but it does fit too far back especially seeing the photo. The rear adjustable is fixed on to a base cast on to the main body so you cannot take off.

First rounds going through this Friday will post how l get on.
Zilberbak

Zilberbak

#36 Post by Zilberbak »

Have just put 120 rounds through the GSG Stg 44 tonight mostly Minimag but also Aguila Standards and Golden Bullets and all cycle really well. Accuracy quite impressive through the irons and the fixed 4x Mildot work well on UTG clamp mount (l was only 20yds out and a combination of stood and elbows on bench).

Everyone impressed with the look feel and weight, even my father-in-law who is Estonian and was a 16 year old conscript in the German Army and got to see the real thing in action on the Russian Front.

First impressions a good piece of kit surprisingly accurate, but please bring out a short 10 round mag!
Zilberbak

Charlotte the flyer

#37 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Glad you enjoyed it, its good to know that they live up to expectation. I am looking forward to mine, when it arrives (still not here yet sign01 ).

Did it only come with a 10 round mag then? I thought they were 25
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
Zilberbak

#38 Post by Zilberbak »

No sorry to mislead it is 25 round mag but a short 10 round would be useful for a lazy so and so like me shooting prone or off bench.

I Froglubed the bolt carrier before l used it and was impressed how easy everything comes apart to clean.

Hope you get yours soon and get the same impressions as l did.

Have fun!
Zilberbak

Charlotte the flyer

#39 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

My StG finally arrived at my local RFD today. Gonna try it with CCI standard tonight and see what it does, I don't have any HV but there's some coming in tomorrow to my local supplier. Will let you know how it gets on, it's certainly a heavy old rifle.
Zilberbak

#40 Post by Zilberbak »

How did you get on?

Certainly a muscle builder.

Seems to cycle most things subs and HV.

l am stilll impressed with how it looks as are those who have commented in my two clubs.

Have fun!
Zilberbak