Mp5 choice

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Gazza

Mp5 choice

#1 Post by Gazza »

OK chaps and chapesses.....
What are the choices for a .22 mp5 ?
Are there any other makes other than the Umarex/HK makes?
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

Re: Mp5 choice

#2 Post by Kungfugerbil »

* GSG (cheap, first one available)
Or
* H&K (manufactured under license by Walther)

Not sure where Umarex fit in?

Edit: OK, Umarex import the Walther/H&K one into the U.S.
BamBam

#3 Post by BamBam »

Avoid the earlier GSG, 2nd hand ones can be cheap, because most shops won't take them as trade unless you're giving it away free.
Gazza

#4 Post by Gazza »

From what I can gather the HK/Walther MP5 is made by Umarex but licenced by H&K so isnt really a H&K or Walther.
I was wondering if there is a firm that produces an Mp5 with quality akin to the CMMG/Spikes AR's etc
I really think this could be a non starter as I'm sure Umarex were approached by H&K as the copy they made originally was a bit too good so it will probably be a case of they can be made and licenced but must not be near the quality of the real H&K

I cant find any online other than the Umarex and GSG ones so maybe they are the only ones licenced.
Gazza

#5 Post by Gazza »

Correction:
The H&K one is made by walther troutslapping
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

I'm afraid it's the GSG Or the Walther, the latter is a better gun and has aftermarket Spring sets for the trigger etc. The GSG is still a fun shooter from what I read but the Walther looks much better from the side by side YouTube reviews I've seen.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Gazza wrote:From what I can gather the HK/Walther MP5 is made by Umarex but licenced by H&K so isnt really a H&K or Walther.
I was wondering if there is a firm that produces an Mp5 with quality akin to the CMMG/Spikes AR's etc
I really think this could be a non starter as I'm sure Umarex were approached by H&K as the copy they made originally was a bit too good so it will probably be a case of they can be made and licenced but must not be near the quality of the real H&K

I cant find any online other than the Umarex and GSG ones so maybe they are the only ones licenced.
The GSG one came first in the form of the GSG-5. They did not seek permission from H&K to make the gun and H&K subsequently sued them and won. As a result GSG then started making the 522 which has several cosmetic changes so that H&K can't sue them again.

Walther then approached H&K to make a licensed copy of the MP5 and the Walther version was made to H&K spec and is stamped as such.

Umarex is the US importer and has nothing to do with the manufacture of the guns. They're all stamped with Umarex on them simply because the US is the biggest market and it saves having to have differently marked receivers.
DVC
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

I had one of the early GSG pre H&K legal action models and frankly it felt cheap - very flimsy with cheap alloy. It was overly fiddly to strip to clean properly too. I was lucky with my trade in value as I got shot of whilst still new and a novelty. It shot OK but I had it less than four months where usually I'll hang on to a rifle for years. There are lots of quality mods available from the States though.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

I also had one of the original GSG-5's and to be honest I really liked it. The SD conversion kit made it feel MUCH nicer. Mine would run really well but it HAD to be cleaned after every use, and yes it was a fiddly job, one piece not seated perfectly and the gun would jam :bad:
DVC
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by bnz41 »

I have one of the Umarex/Walther made MP5 A4 (one without the fake mod) and had no issues at all with the rifle, one of the new mags I bought with it is stiff to fit and remove, but over time that will wear in. Use CCI mini mags without issues no jamming etc. Cleans well.

Make sure you do not have anyone on your right when shooting as it flings the fired cases along way and they can burn....ouch